VMware Horizon Community
tonym4work
Contributor
Contributor

"Allow Display Scaling" Causes Resolution Mismatch

Any idea what is going on here?

Anytime we have "Allow Display Scaling" enabled, our Virtual PC's display resolution is higher or lower than the native device.

i.e.

Display supports: 1920x1080, Virtual PC will scale to 1534x865 or 2400x1350.

Display supports: 1600x900, Virtual PC will scale to 1280x720

Un-checking 'Allow Display Scaling', the virtual PC will use the native display resolution.   Also, I haven't figured out why it sometimes scales up and sometimes down.

Client PC: Windows 7, using Client 5.4.3 (we've tried 5.2-5.4.3)

Virtual PC: Windows 7

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you seen this in the Docs

Use Display Scaling

I worked with a customer had DPI/Scaling issues and I basically worked out that when user logs into the session from a new client device with a different DPI to the VDI session,   Display Scaling will scale the resolution to match to the original session DPI.

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So we currently deployed Surface laptops to our users. They're desk setup has 3 LG 24" monitors set to 1920X1080 and the Surface of course is set to 3240 x 2160. We did this because our users can't video conference with Teams effectively with the Zero's. However this has created new challenges.

My Findings:

Now If I dock my Surface and log into View, because my MAIN screen is set to my Surface it screws up the resolution inside the VM when signing in. ITS HUGE.

If I dock, and change my MAIN monitor to one of the 3 LG 24" at 1920x1080, then log in to the VM for the first time since I signed out last, I get a normal size screen/icon experience across the board.

Now if I log into View from my Surface and the VM is logging in for the first time, then connect to the dock and change the LG to he main, the resolution will still goHUGE.

The client uses the resolution of the main monitor at the time the VM was first logged into is what I've found, its really really stupid...

I wish the VM would just stick to 1920x1080 no matter what and that would solve our headaches.

0 Kudos
vBritinUSA
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I hear you, The latest clients allow you to set the resolution and scaling

pastedImage_0.png

But not sure this helps you.

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

This could be caused by your local Client DPI doesn't sync up with that in Agent side.

You may need to logoff the remote desktop(agent) and then you'll see they will be consistent.

BTW, in Q4, we'll resolve this better without the need to logoff the agent to make the DPI synchronized between client and agent per monitor.

0 Kudos
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Correct, that is the current solution -- however it is a bit of an annoyance. We are also seeing that when a user has 3 1080x1280 monitors up top in a row and then the Surface Laptop down below they occasionally get a black bar that seeps into the Surface's screen. Usually again resolved by logging off the VM and back on but that a pain point for end users. We utilize the Surface laptop outside of View to run Teams because video calling inside of View is atrocious. This at least allows users the ability to communicate on the fly, be mobile, and removes the need for the company to use both Zero's and laptops.

Also -- with the Q4 update be a View Client update or something else?

0 Kudos
tonym4work
Contributor
Contributor

I have logged off/on so many times, and it never syncs up.  Client is 100% DPI, and Remote is always 125% DPI.

I currently have client at 100% trying to get remote to switch (sync) to 100%, but my client was at 125% when I first started using VMware remote desktops.  So could it have locked at that time never to change?

That said, I actually DON'T want them to match.  I actually like for my client machine at 125%, and my Remote at 100% due to the program running on my local vs remote.

I just don't understand why my Remote is forced to match my client device.  I get "defaulting' that way, but users should be able to override it.

0 Kudos