VMware Horizon Community
parrilli
Contributor
Contributor

problem with voip application

I have a problem with a voip application in call center enviroment

voice is not smooth

I read that there are UC api for vmware view for voip application. where i find this documentation

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What application is it?

How are you getting the sound in/out? Through USB headset that is redirected or some other way?

What is the latency?

How is the VM configured?

Is it the voice in or out that is not smooth?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
parrilli
Contributor
Contributor

propetary application

USB headset

latency

0 Kudos
parrilli
Contributor
Contributor

propetary application

USB headset

latency <1ms

the VM are windows 7 optimized for view

the voice is not smooth

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This is caused because you are most likely redirecting the headset from the client to the VM.  This results in the following problems:

1) media hairpinning

2) high bandwidth upstream from client to remote desktop (the audio is sent as raw usb data instead of encoded/compressed audio)

3) higher load on VM

It is not recommended to use a VoIP application in this manner - especially in a call center environment. In a call center, VoIP quality and SLAs are extremely important.

We have the SE SDK generally available. We have UC partners that have used this SDK to re-architect their VoIP application to work optimally in a VDI environment.    More info here.

VMWare Interactive Media Services/Session Enhancement SDK Access - Partner Communication

Public SDK

The VMware Session Enhancement SDK is now a publicly available SDK on the VMware communities website - http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/developer/forums/horizon_vse_sdk

0 Kudos
InfiniVirt
Contributor
Contributor

What about solutions currently available to solve this problem, such as those from Mitel, Avaya and Cisco? Are you locked into using their product in order to benefit from the client voice offload?

I'm working on a large-scale VDI initiative for a large, multi-site call center and are taking every precaution necessary to prevent a botched deployment. The benefits of VDI in our scenario are huge, but we have the hair pinning issue. What I'm trying to figure out is if you can integrate the existing solutions from say Avaya with our current Call Center software. We don't need a complete UC system, just VoIP. Just another significant cost to further submerge an already top-heavy VDI project.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

We are using cisco jabber and it does not work well on view.

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
InfiniVirt
Contributor
Contributor

@Tdubb -- Can you elaborate on the problems you're experiencing with Jabber in View?

What version of View are you using?

Are you using USB or analog headsets?

Thin or Thick clients?

0 Kudos