orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

preferred audio output

Hi all,

Horizon 7.10

Windows 10 1903

Linked Clones

We have two different types of clients which uses two separate types of audio hardware. Our issues is that a subset of users are having to set the audio driver every time they login. 

The default audio driver in the golden image is Vmware audio driver.

We have some users that use a zero client to connect to our VDI environment and use a headset with microphone. The only way to get headset and mic to work on the headset is use to the Teradici audio driver. 

each user has the audio output option of Vmware or Teradici.  When they choose the audio driver, its reset after logoff/logon.

how can we solve this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Ideally VMware’s devtap drivers should work if the zero client has the appropriate audio drivers.

Are these USB or audio jack headsets? Does the VMware audio/devtap work when connecting from a Windows machine?

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the headsets are USB.

Audio works fine when using devtap/Windows Client/Blaster/Audo Jack

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What model of Zero Client are you using? Is the firmware up to date?

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we are using Dell Wyse 4NH9X 5030 with updated firmware.

We tried to set the audio output while using blaster/windows client and do a log off/log on.  after we logged back on, the audio driver was reset.

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wouldn't focus on the flipping audio driver issue as much as why the default VMware audio is not working correctly for you:

Default Audio Output: VMware Virtual Audio (DevTap)

Default Input: Microphone Array (VMware Virtual Microphone)

Also, on your Horizon Agent, make sure that VMware Audio and Real-Time Audio-Video are both selected during the Horizon Agent install.

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

mic works this way, the audio playback does not when using a USB headset.

Both were selected during install time.

have you used a USB headset with MIc on a zero client?

0 Kudos
orddie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I may be missing something here but the only way i have gotten windows to see the headset and have full working audio is via the following method, or having the user choosing teradici audio driver

Teradici Technical Support

0 Kudos
gdeboisblanc1
Contributor
Contributor

We have a similar issue. In our case the virtual machines have two audio devices. In testing across all the different types of clients we us, I find that I can just remove the Teradici driver and they mic and sound work fine. This prevents the users from having to manually select which device they are on. Now I just need to figure out a way to be able to remove the Teradici driver on 1200 machines with automation.

VMWare Virtual Audio (DevTap)

Teradici Virtual Audio Driver

Horizon 7.7

Windows 7

Automatic Pools - (assigned machines)

Gregg

0 Kudos
AaronCamerato
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get this to work? We are in the same situation.

Microphone works fine on windows client with RTAV and VMware Audio installed, but on a zero client we have to add the teradici audio driver to get the mic to work.

0 Kudos
JSFunk99
Contributor
Contributor

We are experiencing a similar issue.  We are 90% Wyse 5030 (P25) using PCoIP and have only gotten audio using the Teradici driver.  Now we are rolling some Dell 3040 Thin Clients using Blast and audio doesn't work unless the playback device is changed to VMware Audio driver.  However, this would require users changing it each time and we have locked that feature out due to their use case. 

Changing the default audio device on the base image of the linked clones works but this would require spinning up new pools which isn't really possible right now.

Any thoughts on how to "automatically" switch the default driver at log in or based of the protocol used?