VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

one desktop entitled to two user

i have designed a scenario, one desktop entitled to two users: userA and userB.

they both can successfully connect to the desktop, but not simultaneously.

when userA connected to desktop, then disconnect but not log off, userB can't connect to the same desktop. in another words, only if the user logged into the desktop logoff,the other user can logged in.

so my question is:

1) can we make two users entitiled to the same desktop logged into simultanesouly?

2) if the answer to 1) is no, how to kick out the user already logged into so i can make other user logged in instead of just waiting.

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

No, you can't use VDM to allow both users to access the same Vista/XP VM simultaneously, userB won't be able to log in until userA's session is terminated. What you need to do is to set the desktop to automatically logoff after disconnect, there is an option in the desktop settings for this entitled "Automatic logoff after disconnect", which allows you to set immediately, never, or after X minutes. This feature was added for VDM 2.1 so you'll need a 2.1 agent for it to work correctly, though a 2.0 agent can be manually configured via a local registry option.

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i don't know is this a windows limitation or vmware VDM limitation? maybe restricted by windows, a desktop can't be used by two users simultaneously but server can.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If I'm not mistaken this was a XP lockdown. There are a few sites out there that have a hack that will allow multiple connections but I don't know if that will work with VDM.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, i see. two users can share one desktop, but not at the same time. but if for some reason, one user not log out, how can i know this (list active session) and kick it out(close the session forcibly)?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the Group Policy to specify time out values for active, idle, and disconnected sessions. You can also use the "automatic logoff after disconnect" feature available in the pool settings. This will allow you to set a time to reset connections after a user has disconnected.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos