VMware Horizon Community
winner_winner
Contributor
Contributor

offline desktop never succeeds

Hi all, I'm testing VMware View3, however, I never succeed in checking out offline desktop. I've followed all the steps in the admin guide and read all the relative posts in this community, but still fail. Each time I check out the desktop, it reports: Check-out error: The View Connection Server failed to check out the desktop. Then I checked the event panel of the view portal, always the same hints like:

(SESSION:396CCEF92DE4DB3BFE6A62C6F42231B5;B4AE0C9742B919847C6B511E7BF4689A) CANCEL_CHECKOUT_REQUEST:Desktop:CN=xp-offline-1,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC= (more ...) Info 1/16/09 4:29:19 PM Audit TP-Processor2

(SESSION:396CCEF92DE4DB3BFE6A62C6F42231B5;B4AE0C9742B919847C6B511E7BF4689A) CHECKOUT_REQUEST:Desktop:CN=xp-offline-1,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware, (more ...) Info 1/16/09 4:28:35 PM

I've collected the full log(see attached), though there're some errors, I still can't tell what cause the failures. I'm sure all my environment meet the requirement, and dns works fine. So please help to give me some hints on what I shall do next. I've spent two days in doing so without any progress.

Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
winner_winner
Contributor
Contributor

One week passed, no reply. I know view3 is a new product, also offline desktop is an experimental function, but after I try these days in 3 vc, 3 esx hosts and serveral desktops, none success, I have to say it's not easy to use.

0 Kudos
Adminafterwork
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please can you provide more information about the desktop OS you're trying to check-out? XP SP2,SP3 - 32Bit ? And the client OS you'e using?

Does the check-out error is created directly by trying, or your check-out start?

Have also a look here : http://communities.vmware.com/thread/183898

Your feedback would be highly appreciated!

cheers

0 Kudos
winner_winner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. All my host and guest OS are windows xp sp3 32-bit, and I tried ISCSI, SAN, NFS, as you can see from the log file, the check-out error occurs always in 1 minute after starting the check-out request. I've already read the post and checked all information including DNS, storage as the post suggested, still failed. Hope you can find some clues from the log file.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Are you running ESX3.5 U3 and vCenter 2.5 U3, have you opened up the relevant ports in the firewalls to allow communication.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
winner_winner
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom. Yes, I'm runing ESX3.5 U3 and VC 2.5 U3, and to make sure, I've stopped all the firewalls including esx,vc, guest, client, no luck again.

Will it be a problem that my vdm servers running on vms hosting in xenservers?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

It shouldn't matter as the Guest will not know that is it running on XenServer,

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
winner_winner
Contributor
Contributor

OK, used the newly published 3.01 version, still no luck. But after reading the release notes again, I found the problem. The country setting in my vm guest is US, while my client setting is China, that's why. After correcting this, bingo.

0 Kudos