VMware Horizon Community
thewoo
Contributor
Contributor

need assistance in setting up VMware View

I'm a VMware beginner who is trying to set up a VMware View environment for testing purposes at work. I was running into some confusion about how to get everything set up, and what I needed to install.

I have two spare systems to work on, as well as my own desktop.

From my understanding (please correct me if I'm wrong), I will install ESX server on one of the systems. The other machine will have the Infrastructure Client and from there, I can create VMs to store on the ESX server. The VMs would be a vCenter (WinXP?), View Connection Server (Win2003), and a fresh copy of Windows XP that will act as the View Agent.

Am I on the right track? Totally wrong? Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to follow the instructions on this site (http://www.virtualizationadmin.com/articles-tutorials/vdi-articles/vmware-esx-server/what-vmware-view-3-vdi-offers-how-install.html) but I wanted to come here and get some advice from people who know way more than me.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

you would need 1 server for VMware ESX

one instance of Windows 2003 for VirtualCenter (to manage ESX)

one instance of Windows 2003 for AD and DNS, and probably for DHCP

one instance of Windows 2003 in a domain, for VMware View Connection Server

one XP for template, inside the domain and with remote users enabled

one Customization specification associated to the XP template

with the excepcion of ESX, all of the rest can be virtual!!

I hope it points you in the right direction

Jose Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
thewoo
Contributor
Contributor

Right now I am on the VM that contains View Connection Server and I'm trying to add a Virtual Center Server to be associated with it.

I installed the vCenter Server on another VM, but it won't connect to it. Possibly a port forwarding issue?

My third VM is a Windows XP host and I've set it to allow remote connections.

Also, I put all the VMs and its host machine on our domain, so the DHCP is taken care of.

When I try to enter the IP of the vCenter server in the View Connection Server console, I get a message saying, "The connection was refused or a connection error occured."

I should also mention that I am managing the ESX server on the 2nd physical machine, as I installed the infrastructure client on it to add my VMs. Is that okay? Because I know the vCenter installation includes the Infrastructure client as well..

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there,

are you managing both ESX hosts with the vCenter? Is the vCenter server service running? Could you try to open iexplorer on the View maanger, pointing to the vCenter URL, what happens?

Regards,

Christoph

Don't forget to award the points if this answer was helpful for you.

Blog:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth |

0 Kudos
thewoo
Contributor
Contributor

Right now I'm only managing the ESX host with the Infrastructure

client, which is installed on the physical portion of the 2nd machine. When I go to the License Server Tools on the VM, it says the service is running, but when I go to services.msc it says the Virtual Center Server service is not running. If I try to enable it, it fails and tells me it is unable to start the service.

I'm not even sure if the vCenter is installed properly..if I go to Start>Programs>VMware, all I see is a License Server folder and the Infrastructure program that was also installed in the bundle. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
thewoo
Contributor
Contributor

Would it be possible to add the XP desktop to the View Connection Server inventory without having vCenter running? I tried to add it to the inventory as an "Individual Desktop" but when I specify the IP, it can't find the XP VM.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

check out this thread, it may be helpful

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/193050

0 Kudos