VMware Horizon Community
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

migrating horizon 6 from 5.5 to 6.0

has anyone been able to migrate horizon view 6.2 from vcenter 5.5 to 6.0?

do a brand new installation or migrastion? what do you do with the replica vm? how do you move that to vcenter 6? cannot edit the replica vm to change the dvport group

32 Replies
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

turned out to be a permission issue on the new vcenter. Added approriate rights and now vcenter 6 is added into connection server

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

what is the next step now with vcenter added to view connection server.

I got only one view composer server that both vcenters are pointing to.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

i added the desktops to the manual pool. then converted the pool back to automated and tried to do a recompose of all desktops but its failing

any idea?

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

here is the error

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

this is what i have done. I changed the pool back to manual. then added the linked clone desktops in the new pool. they all reconfigured and now shows the agent version.

If i change the pool back to automated, then I cannot recompose the pool with an updated temmplate/image.

the linked clone desktops all ail to recompose because they were from a different vcenter?

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It sounds like you are experiencing some challenges.  There are a few things that stand out in your last few posts.  First, the relationship of vCenters to Composer is a 1:1 relationship.  That means that each vCenter should have its own Composer instance.  Second thing I see is the conversion of a linked clone pool from automated to manual.  Manual linked clone pools are not a capability available with Horizon View.  The process of converting a pools is used when moving Full Clone desktops from one vCenter to another, and placing them back into a newly created automated pool by briefly changing the pool to manual, adding the full clone desktops, and immediately changing the pool back to automated.  Linked clone pools can be recreated in the new vCenter by simply creating a new pool, and composing that pool based on the snapshot of the parent desktop used for the previous linked clone pool.

I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by moving non-persistent linked clone desktops too and from a pool.  I would not recommend taking that approach.  I suggest creating a new automated, linked clone pool, based on the parent desktop and appropriate snapshot.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

I now only have 1 view composer registered to my vcenter 6

i changed the automated pool from automated to manual

Thene remove all the desktops from that pool.

Then I created an automated pool in vcenter6

changed it to manual

then added the desktops into this pool

changed it back to automated

Then tried to do a recompose of all the desktops but keep running into this error

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

so basically after i moved the desktops over to this new pool on vcenter6, any view composer tasks on this pool is failing. I know view composer works because it works on another pool. also in vcneter 6

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

my original desktops are all linked cloned desktops.

what I have done is changed my new pool from automated to manual and I manually added these linked clone desktops to this manual pool.

They got added fine and all shows up fine in view manager.

The problem is when I change it back to automated and all the linked clone desktops error out.

I do have to mention that these linked clone desktops are running 6.1 agent while my view manager/composer are all on 6.2.

also I might have missed what you mean by full clone desktops and linked clone desktops.

my desktops are all linked clones. do they need to be converted to full?

0 Kudos
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Read what larsonm wrote above. It makes no sense in what you're trying to do. Move your parent VM over to new vCenter 6, take a new snapshot. Now Create a new linked clone pool pointing to the new vCenter 6 server and use the new snap you just took, now spin up all your linked clones from that pool and get rid of the others. Switching from automated to manual is only for FULL cloned desktops.

0 Kudos
tdubb123
Expert
Expert

The problem I have is not setting up a new pool on vcenter6. The issue I have recomposing the old linked clones from vcenter 5.5 in vcenter6

I still need these linked clone desktops because they have user data on them.

I was able to move the linked clones and add them into a manual pool in vcenter 6

but changing the pool to automated is the problem I am having. Any composer tasks is failing on these desktops. Are you saying this is not supported and I will need to reassign new desktops existing users?

Screen Shot 2015-10-02 at 3.10.31 PM.png

0 Kudos
larsonm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Where does the user data reside in these desktops?  Are these 5 desktops the only linked clones that are problematic?

If you need to keep the desktops and user data, you can clone them to full desktops, but then you will lose the agility that comes with having a linked clone pool.

If you want to keep the desktops as linked clones, I suggest creating a new pool, composing the desktops, and moving the user data.  Additionally, I recommend working to eliminate user data from linked clone desktops by use of persona management, folder redirection, App Volumes, or UEM.

You cannot move linked clones from one vCenter to another.

0 Kudos
glennvelsol
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Exactly as larsonm said again. I'm so confused on why you would have user data on a non-persistent VM?! You should be using persona management or folder redirection, or even persistent user disks.

0 Kudos