VMware Horizon Community
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

migrate VMs from View 5.1 to Horizons View 5.2

Instead of upgrading my current view 5.1 deployment, I am looking to setup a seperate Horizon View 5.2 enviroment to migrate to. (1 VCS and 1 VSS)  My users are on dedicated desktops that I would like to keep when migrating to the new enviroment.  Is there a way to add desktops into a pool without using the template for the pool?   What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This depends a lot on whether the dedicated assignment pool the users are using right now cosists of linked clones or full clone desktops. If you're using linked clones, there isn't much that can be done, except to use the Windows Easy Transfer utility to export the profiles from the existing VMs, move the users over to a new pool and then use WET to restore their profiles. Also, if you're using Persona Management for the existing pool, that would save the profile and settings, but any installed applications would be gone when the users were moved to the new linked clone pool.

If you're using full clone desktops, you could remove them from the existing View Administrator portal, but not delete them from disk, then create a Manual pool in the new View Administrator portal, and add the existing full clone desktop to the new pool. This assumes that both the old View environment and the new one share a common vCenter Server and underlying hosts. Otherwise, you'd have to move the full clone from one vCenter to the other (probably by exporting an ovf of that VM) and then import it into the new one.

I think there are options, but none of them are ideal. In any case, it would be a good idea to use something like the WET utility to be sure you have a valid backup of the user's profile before doing anything else.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This depends a lot on whether the dedicated assignment pool the users are using right now cosists of linked clones or full clone desktops. If you're using linked clones, there isn't much that can be done, except to use the Windows Easy Transfer utility to export the profiles from the existing VMs, move the users over to a new pool and then use WET to restore their profiles. Also, if you're using Persona Management for the existing pool, that would save the profile and settings, but any installed applications would be gone when the users were moved to the new linked clone pool.

If you're using full clone desktops, you could remove them from the existing View Administrator portal, but not delete them from disk, then create a Manual pool in the new View Administrator portal, and add the existing full clone desktop to the new pool. This assumes that both the old View environment and the new one share a common vCenter Server and underlying hosts. Otherwise, you'd have to move the full clone from one vCenter to the other (probably by exporting an ovf of that VM) and then import it into the new one.

I think there are options, but none of them are ideal. In any case, it would be a good idea to use something like the WET utility to be sure you have a valid backup of the user's profile before doing anything else.

0 Kudos
digerati646
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are using full clones so creating a manual pool on the new setup should work for me.  Good to know about the WET tool though, might come in handy later.

Thanks!

0 Kudos