VMware Horizon Community
jeremyyyy
Contributor
Contributor

locking down persistent disk? and changing size...

I have linked clones running and need to lock down the desktops (running windows 7)
As a quick 'fix' I changed the user permissions X:\Users\Custom-User026 and removed Write access...
Well lets just say VMware tools didnt like that.
So im guessing if I do some magic logon script to kill access VMware tools might not like it. We still have Deep Freeze to help but on my end I dont wish the end user to think if I save to the desktop the data is safe... Which is the case with our users.
My 2nd question is about the disk size and changing it. I left it on default when I rolled it out which is 2GB but want to lower it to 250MB.
With Deep Freeze the size wont change and just wasting IO...
My issue is we have static DHCP for the view desktops... and I would hate to redo that...
Is there another way?
thank you....
0 Kudos
6 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

First I have to ask why you even need deep freeze when using a linked clone pool? If you use a 'refresh on logoff' setting for your pool(s) That should get you the same as what DF would do. As for the persistent disk you could just try editing your pool settings for the persistent disk. This may only affect new VMs. Why do you want to decrease the size of the persistent disk? I think you mentioned IO. If that is the case then put the persistent disks on cheap storage. Also, you may wish to use group policy to achieve your goals. Have you tried group policy?

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

One more thing I just thought of. If you need Deep Freeze then why are you using a persistent pool? How about just using a floating pool with no user data disks and set the VMs to refresh on logoff.

0 Kudos
jeremyyyy
Contributor
Contributor

Ive used the refresh feature and it added some lag time for the users and we had DF and was easy to work with on the fly.

Decreasing the size isnt all the important just looking to see when we deploy over 200 desktops would be nice to reclaim the wasted space.

We use linked clones... I thought presistant disks is a must? We have 4.6

As for GPO we do use it to 'lock' down the desktop which works fine but Im not up to speed with deny users access to saving. I know from the steady state days it was very easy... I thought about importing the adm's from steady state but might cause some issues...

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Actually I would look to using refresh instead of Steady State or Deep Freeze. Just my opinion. Also, if you don't need to use persistent VMs then why have a user data disk. If your pool can be floating then there is no need for user data disk. The fact that you are using Deep Freeze is testament to that. User data disk is only needed when you want a user to keep their profile settings and local files after a refresh or recompose. If user perstence is not needed then just get rid of the user data disk and save space and headache. It is not mandatory for the use case you hae stated, in fact it would be a hinderance.

0 Kudos
amandasmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Check the following information http://communities.vmware.com/message/714980

Hope this information helps you.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else
0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

How does this address linked clones using a persistent user data disk? I am just not getting how these two products are similar in this fashion.

0 Kudos