VMware Horizon Community
epping
Expert
Expert

local printing

hi guys

i have a requirement for some users to be able to connect their local printers.

these are connected on the LPT1, i can print test pages fine but anything more complcated like graphics or formated text all come out wrong.

any ideas what could be the problem?

the device is a wyse vl10

many thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Since this is in the VDI forum I'm guessing the O/S you're using is Windows XP? Have you tried a postscript driver instead of a PCL driver (or vice versa)? You might try a driver change and see if that helps...

epping
Expert
Expert

u are right i am using xp

its a HP lasserjet 1100, i have now got it to work much beter but there us still problems when printing graphics.

Have you managed to get printing working for all applications or just some.

many thanks

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

I've actually not done this in a VDI environment - I was really just throwing a suggestion out there from experience in issues using Windows XP in general.

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

the step to configure it is :

\- either manually or through the wnos.ini configure a printer name on the wyse S10 that EXACTLY matches the printer name as you see it in Windows (driver list).

\- the driver needs to be installed in the Windows XP image you are RDPing into. Either it's one of the drivers that ships with the base OS or you can force the install of the driver through the Printer panel.

\- When you rdp into XP the printer gets mapped into your RDP session and XP will use the native device driver to print onto the locally attached printer.

That is how I usually configure it and I haven't had any problems. Well for the sake of the discussion I must admit I haven't tried to print very graphic intensive things .... but it was my understanding that given the fact that you use the native XP driver there shouldn't really be any difference.

My 2 cents.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Aside from cost, is there any reason you can't go out and buy a network print server (DLINK, NetGear, etc.) and attach the printer to that? I understand if you have a lot of users that have their own printers that you wouldn't want to do this, but I'm just throwing it out there...

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

have not matched any names on the s10 yet, will give that ago, thanks for the hint

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

there are some managers who have printers in there office and it would not be acceptable for me to suggest that they walk to a network printer or that they buy a network printer for their office.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Fair enough - we have some of the same situations here where I work, so I understand. Just making sure...

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

USB printers not supported in my enviroment?

Home user with XP, connecting juniper ssl RDP, to my XP VM....

I thought that as long as my RDP was setup to connect USB printers I should be OK, but when I look at my XP VM -- Edit Settings -- USB Controller. It say not support and is greyed out. Is this because I did a P2V from a HP dc7700 and it saw the USB? hmmm

Message was edited by:

heybuzzz

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

u are correct, the P2V will create a usb controller this however is not supported in esx.

i did not think u could use (currently) usb printers with rdp, may be wrong here though (often am)

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

You can use USB printers .... in fact the "USB connection" is handled by the thin client device ..... which in turn "exports" the printer into the RDP connection.

The hosting virtualization layer does not need to support USB for this to work.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

epping, I don't think nick was suggesting you replace the printers with network ones, but simply buying little network print servers and plugging the printer into them. Very common thing.

0 Kudos
nick_couchman
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah - single port network print servers can be had for about $50 US (at most), which was what I had in mind...

0 Kudos