VMware Horizon Community
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

linked clones - what the hell is the source and the replica entry in VC

Hello together,

I'm new in the view thema Smiley Wink

I've created a xp-master machine in an automatic pool with 2 desktops. View created me 2 clones from my original VM but what the hell are the entrys in the inventory. there is a replica-d71588a6-1725-4f16-b239-ee2b552b835d and a source-dqwefwedfw-2324-32423fwdf entry.

Why are the entry there. can i rename or delete them? What for do I need them??

Questions over Questions....

0 Kudos
11 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here is a great guide on the breakdown of Linked Clones and how they work on VMware View 3 with some graphical representation/explanation; http://rodos.haywood.org/2008/12/storage-analysis-of-vmware-view.html

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot.

but why are the entrys in the inventory? It seems to be a virtual machine.

I've attached a screenshot!

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager

Not sure...that's how it was implemented, perhaps they could have hidden it from users. I just know that you should not try to modify the Linked Clones manually through vCenter and use View Manager to do so.

FYI - replica is a virtual machine

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

okay...so it is a normal behaviour??

I thought the virtual machine is the clone-001 machine which is powered on

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The replica is the read-only disk that is read from while the linked clone itself is the delta disk (where changes or "fluff" as I call it) is written to. This is a protected entity and if you delete/rename it (which you cannot do in vCenter) you will hose your linked clones.

The source is, technically, the first VM pushed out by composer. It's a test to see if everything works ok and becomes the basis for the delta/linked clones.

In a nutshell, DON' TOUCH 'EM! Smiley Wink

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

okay - i think i got it.

But in my opinion - it is not a nice way the have the source and replica in the inventory list of the VC. They could made them hidden like templates Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've put in the feature request to do just that but I'm just an employee. If customers request it, it'll more likely happen (hint hint hint)

Want make a difference in the future of VMware Products? Feature request your ideas ( )!

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do it Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

just a quick question.

Can someone tell me the difference between a replica, a master and source disk?? What disk is for what purpose?

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Master VM is the VM you create that becomes the basis for the pool. You can create many linked clone pools -- persistent and/or non-persistent -- off of this VM. Once the replica and source are created you can power this on, delete it, do whatever. Think of it like a template if you will.

Replica is a copy of the Master (hence why it will pause at 94% -- that is the actual point where the vmdk is being cloned). All linked clones read off of this.

Source VM is the first VM/delta off of the replica. This is done to test that the LC can work and to create the basis of the deltas.

Source and Replica are protected entities in vCenter. If someone deleted the source VM, the linked clones are ok. If the replica is deleted, the pool is toast.

ditro2001
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot....

0 Kudos