VMware Horizon Community
vmwarevssc
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible to deploy a vdesktop with static ip using view5

Hi,

I have downloaded the evalaution version of view5 and installed all the components viz., vcentre, vcomposer, connection server,.....

I have also configured WinXP SP3 as the guest OS, installed vmware tools, required application and view agent and taken a snapshot. Before creating desktop pool, it is possible to deploy a single clone with static IP to confirm functionality. How to proceed??????

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Sure, just make a manual clone and set a static ip. Then you need to configure a manual pool and pick the vm.

Make sure that DNS works properly.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmwarevssc
Contributor
Contributor

i tried the way u suggested.

Created a clone of the machine , created manual pool using View Administrator, entitled one user

When I try to connect using View Client, it displays the pool created. When the pool is selected, it asks for userid and password.

I provided the userid and password for which the desktop was entitled.

Then it displays the error " This desktop currently has no desktop sources available......"

When viewed thru View Administrator, it shows Error

No network communication betqween the view agent and connection server. Please verify that the virtual desktop can ping the conn. server vis FQDN.

This is possible if we open the clone using vcentre->Open console.

Where is the problem? Any help/suggestions please....

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can you lookup the View Connection server from the new View Desktop by dns-name?

Is it joined the the AD and have you set a static IP?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vmwarevssc
Contributor
Contributor

hi linjo,

if i take the clone using vsphere client, everything works.

if it is accessed through view desktop, i am unable to log in. I have not done sysprep. can this be a problem?

thanx.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Can you lookup the View Connection server from the new View Desktop by dns-name?

Is it joined the the AD and have you set a static IP?

Whats the status of the View Desktop in the Connection Broker?

// Linjo

0 Kudos
vmwarevssc
Contributor
Contributor

hi linjo,

Thanx for your suggestions.

At laaassst it worked. I still could not identify the problem.

I deleted the pool and re-created it once again. The only difference is that the clone was power on while creating the pool. I don't know whether this can be the problem. Any after recreating the pool, everything worked fine.

Now I have one more doubt. Is it possible to test for linked clones with static IP. Or obtaining IP from DHCP is mandatory?????

Thanks once again...

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

In theory its possible but you have to manually set an unique static IP on each linked clone, in reality you want to use DHCP.

// Linjo

0 Kudos
vmwarevssc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo,

Thanks for your quick response. How can we assign static IP's to linked clones?

I understand that it creates the copy of the snapshot at the time of demand (don't know whether I'm right......). Then how is it possible???

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You have to login to each vm and set the IP once it is provisioned.

As I said, that is probably not something you want to do since it will require a lot of manual work but technically its possible.

// Linjo

0 Kudos