VMware Horizon Community
tx1153
Contributor
Contributor

installing VMWare Horizon Client version 2203 fails

trying to install VMWARE Horizon Client version 2203 or 2111 or 2106 for my windows laptop which is running Windows 11 21H2.

the installation fails.

when I goto the VMWare directory, C:/ProgramFiles/VMWare/ there are no log files.

Richard Ho

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

if you search the Horizon install logs there are in C:\ProgramData\VMware\logs ...... not in c:\ProgramFiles.... and if you do not see the ProgramData folder you need to enable Hidden item on file Explorer proprieties

fabio1975_0-1652885242777.png

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
tx1153
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to copy the log files below.  Can someone tell me whats causing the installation to fail?

thanks  Richard

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

Hello
from the logs, I see this error

fabio1975_0-1652906752897.png

and as indicated in this forum post 

Solved: VMware Horizon 5.4.2 won't install Windows 10 x64 ... - VMware Technology Network VMTN

it seems that the installation is unable to modify the file
C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ Drivers \ etc \ hostsThe Horizon Client installation tries to append an entry to the "hosts" file, which seems to be write protected.

The solution in that post was

That could be caused by UAC (permission issue), or an A / V app which prevents modifications for this file.

You may need to temporarily disable A / V, or try to add the entry (I marked it in red) manually to the hosts file prior to running the Horizon Client setup.

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos