VMware Horizon Community
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

installing Horizon View

We want to stand up a Horizon with view server in our development area.  I'm trying to download and install, but I have a question.  I thought that this software was a hypervisor that sits on bare metal, but the installer is an .exe file that says it runs only on Windows server.  Can someone help?  thx. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

Horizon View setup does not include the hypervisor setup. The hypervisor should be downloaded and installed separately.

0 Kudos
pari2k3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VMware vSphere Basics – “The bits and pieces”

VMware ESX and VMware ESXi: "YES a Hypervisor"

Runs on physical servers that abstracts processor, memory, storage, and resources into multiple virtual machines. The most important component of vSphere.  

vSphere Software Components:

ESX/ESXi

vCenter Server

vCenter Server plug-ins

vCenter Server database

vCenter Server agent

vSphere Client Interfaces:

vSphere Client

vSphere Web Access

VMware Service Console

vSphere Command-Line Interface

Components of a  Horizon View environment: "NOT a Hypervisor"

View Connection Server

View Security Server

View Composer

View Agent

View Client

ThinApp

There's a lot more components but these are the most important.

Raul. Smiley Happy

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
gupdeepi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi ,

VMware view server can be install only on Windows server class machine , Its not a hypervisor and need a Windows OS platform.

Thanks,

Deepika

0 Kudos
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

ok, thank you all.  so I think I'm understanding that I need to install a regular vsphere 6 hypervisor, and then I install horizon view as an application on a windows server VM.  is the vcenter the same, or is it a special vcenter?  what is the difference between Horizon and Horizon View?

thanks!

0 Kudos
gupdeepi
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Cnpatton,

Yes your understanding is correct. You need to install vmware View server in WIndows Server class Vm on supported Hypervisor.

AS for the vcenter it can be any regular VC on Windows machine or VC as an appliance also supported .

Horizon is a big entity under which many product lies like Horizon View , Horizon Air, Horizon workapce ...etc.

Thanks,

Deepika

0 Kudos
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

So if I have an existing vsphere 6.5 environment, and I have an extra server, the simplest route would be to put esxi on that server, and add it to the existing server farm rather than creating a whole new vmware farm solely for vdi.  Would you agree with that?  Is there any need to segregate? 

Thanks,

CP

0 Kudos
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can create a new cluster for VDI and add the new ESXi to it and then create VMs for your Horizon Servers.

0 Kudos
cnpatton
Contributor
Contributor

So would there be any reason not to do that?  The other option is to create a whole new vsphere datacenter, with a separate vCenter.  is it best practice to have VDI's on different clusters in same datacenter, or create a new datacenter?  Are there pro's and con's to each? 

Thank You!

CP

0 Kudos