VMware Horizon Community
fireman05
Contributor
Contributor

installation failed on old replica server

Hi,

I have migrate my connection server (2008 R2 toward 2012 R2 Horizon 7.4).

For this I have installed a REPLICA.

So, I have 2 connections server :

2008R2 : Horizon standard 7.4

2012R2 : Horizon replica 7.4

After migration I removed the old connection server (2008 R2 that was a STANDARD server) :

Mise à niveau vers la version la plus récente du Serveur de connexion sur une machine différente ( vdmadmin.exe -S -s server_name -r)

Now I want to upgrade the 2012 R2 server (ex-replica, but now, it is a standalone server)  to Horizon 7.6.

The installation fail with rollback to 7.4.

I think that the installer don't know that now this server is standalone and it try  to install it in REPLICA but, I want a STANDARD.

In the log file, we see that the server_instance_type is set to 2 (replica)

Any idea ?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Just to clarify, at the moment you just have a single connection server running Horizon 7.4.0 on Windows Server 2012 R2. You want to upgrade that single instance to Horizon 7.6.0 but it's failing? There really is no difference between a standard and replica server.

I've seen Horizon Upgrades fail when there is a pending reboot from patches. Can you reboot the connection server to confirm it doesn't need to complete installing any patches during the reboot and try again? If you want to share the installer log that should reveal where the failure is (Typically at the end of the log).

0 Kudos
fireman05
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it's OK, I have a single server (W2012R2, Horizon 7.4: ex-replica) and I want to upgrade it in 7.6.

I think that the installer remember the choices of the initial installation (path to install, and also server type that was REPLICA) because I don't have this choices when I'm running installer.

I rebooted the server before running install.

i think that is necessary remove software Horizon without remove ADLDS instance and re-install for have the choice to select "STANDARD".

you'll see into the log "SERVER_INSTANCE_TYPE" set to 2.

2 is a replica, but now it is standalone.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It looks like the log is in french but I did my best to translate it online.

The install is failing with error 1603. What is the status of the server you provided the log for? Is it the only connection server running 7.4.0 that you are trying to upgrade to 7.6.0? If so can you run the following from a command prompt and provide the output?

repadmin.exe /showrepl localhost:389 DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int

0 Kudos
fireman05
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

this server is a single server (SRV-HORIZ). It's the only connection server running 7.4. I want to upgrade it to 7.6.

it was installed in REPLICA when I had an other connection server (2008R2). The  2008 R2 server has been removed with Vmware tech note (first : install a replica (this server 2012R2), second : uninstall Horizon view connection server on the 2008R2, third : command vdmadmin on the 2012R2 to remove the 2008r2).

This is the result of the command. srv-horiz is the name of the server that I want upgrade

thanks

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At this point I think it would be best to work with VMware Support to resolve this. I suspect there is something in the AD LDS (ADAM) that needs to be cleaned up.

0 Kudos
techguy129
Expert
Expert

If I were you,I would stand up another 2012 server and install 7.6 as a replica server and join it to horizon environment. From there you can uninstall Horizon 7.4 off the old 2012r2 server and do a install of 7.6 or decommission it completely.

0 Kudos
fireman05
Contributor
Contributor

hello,

the problem is solved.

the problem was the installer has upgraded MS visual C++ first and it reboot the server without confirmation.

After reboot I must rerun the installer,  but I need to wait few minutes that all the services View restart.

If you don't wait any minutes, the installation fail. if you wait, the installation is OK.

Thank You

0 Kudos