VMware Horizon Community
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

iPad proxy issues

Hello All!!

Last week I deployed about 200 virtual desktops... all works like a charm.

My clients access their virtual desktops via LAN or WAN whitout any problem with a really good experience.

But, always there is a "but" Smiley Happy, some of my LAN clients need to manualy setup iPad HTTP Proxy to access internet (via Safari).

So when they change HTTP Proxy configuration to Manual and fills all necessary information, they lost connectivity to virtual desktop...

The question: Why they lose connectivity to virtual desktop? What can I change on my LAN environment to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Best,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
7 Replies
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Source: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view-client-ipad-document.pdf

"Problem Establishing a Connection When Using a Proxy
Sometimes if you attempt to connect to View Connection Server using a proxy while on the LAN, an error
occurs.
Problem
If the View environment is set up to use a secure connection from the View desktop to View Connection Server,
and if the tablet is configured to use an HTTP proxy, you might not be able to connect.
Cause
Unlike Windows Internet Explorer, the tablet does not have an Internet option to bypass the proxy for local
addresses. When an HTTP proxy is used for browsing external addresses, and you try to connect to View
Connection Server using an internal address, you might see the error message Could not establish
connection.
Solution
Remove the proxy settings so that the tablet no longer uses a proxy. "
Is this a joke,right? LOL :smileylaugh:

So, its more or less like this, or I´m able to access my virtual desktop or internet, both its impossible, am I right?

Best,

Eduardo.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What happens if you have one of the proxy users try to connect using the security server instead of the connection server? If they can't bypass the proxy server for internal addresses, maybe you could just have them use an external address. I know it's not an ideal solution and, depending on how you have DNS set up, it might not even be possible. But it would sure beat having them remove the proxy settings every time they want to connect to a View desktop, right?

Dave

tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello Dave.

Thanks for you reply. Smiley Happy

I´ll try this approach.

I´m thinking of use a .pac file to give iPad inteligence to decide if it should or should not bypass the proxy server to access View Manager.

Best,

Eduardo.

0 Kudos
tropix
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I little bit more information about this issue.

Using Wyse PocketCloud all works fine, with or without iPad proxy configuration.

Can I assume that is a PCoIP "problem"?

Best,

Eduardo.

0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, according to the document you referenced earlier, PCoIP doesn't have anything to do with it:

"If the View environment is set up to use a secure connection from the View desktop to View Connection Server, and if the tablet is configured to use an HTTP proxy, you might not be able to connect."

Which means this just continues to get stranger. So, either the Wyse PocketCloud application doesn't make use of the proxy settings for the system, or there's something in the way it handles creating a secure connection using the proxy that makes it work. I noticed that there is no way to specify proxy settings within PocketCloud, so it can't be that it's bypassing the proxy that way.

The most interesting part of that document's statement of the problem is the phrase "set up to use a secure connection from the View desktop to View Connection Server." And if that box is checked in View Administrator for the Connection Server, then that should affect both RDP and PCoIP connections. Is there any way you could use a test Connection Server, and uncheck the box in Global Settings to "Require SSL for client connections and View Administrator" just to test with it? It would be interesting to see whether the iPad client could consistently connect with the proxy settings in place and that box unchecked.

Dave

From: Eduardo <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Reply-To: communities-emailer <communities-emailer@vmware.com<mailto:communities-emailer@vmware.com>>

Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 09:09:57 -0800

To: David Horvath <david.horvath@dmctechgroup.com<mailto:david.horvath@dmctechgroup.com>>

Subject: New message: "iPad proxy issues"

VMware Communities<http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa>

iPad proxy issues

reply from Eduardo<http://communities.vmware.com/people/tropix> in VMware View™ (with View Manager) - View the full discussion<http://communities.vmware.com/message/2004634#2004634

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Eduardo wrote

So when they change HTTP Proxy configuration to Manual and fills all necessary information, they lost connectivity to virtual desktop...

The question: Why they lose connectivity to virtual desktop? What can I change on my LAN environment to solve this problem?

Thanks.

Best,

Eduardo.

If your internet is through proxy server then you have to configure the prox address in your ipad. You loose connection because of you configure information was wrong. I have configure my proxy address in my Ipad and using internet.

milton123 
0 Kudos
dvhorvath
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Access to the internet isn't really the issue, though. What Eduardo is talking about is losing a connection to the Connection Server on his LAN, because the proxy settings on the iPad don't have a stipulation to bypass the proxy for LAN addresses. That being the case, I think his idea about using a pac file to add some inteligence to the iPad's proxy settings might be the best idea.

Dave

0 Kudos