VMware Horizon Community
fnature
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to use thinapp applications with horizon and physical PCs

Hi,

My goal is to see if I can use legagcy application with simply horizon view standard & thinapp, or if I need horizon advanced to run RDS.

I understand that in VMware Horizon, you cannot assign ThinApp applications to  traditional PCs.

So let's say I have a vmware horizon licensed for 10 CCU and I have 10 physical PCs that I add in a manual pool.

Can I install the thinapp applications directly on the physical PCs without using the deployment from thinapp repository in horizon?

How does the licensing work then when installing thinapp directly on the desktops ?

thanks

francois

5 Replies
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, absolutely.. ThinApp does not have to be deployed using any kind of tool.. You can simply copy the .exe to the machine.. If you want look and feel of a locally installed application run thinreg.exe (google it and you'll find ton of help).

You can also host the ThinApp packages on a network share. Simply thinreg.exe again and users wont know it is running apps over the network..

0 Kudos
roneng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

as pbjork already said, you have several options,

one thing to note is that if you use a network share and the thinapp is big, it might take couple of seconds to download and launch.

another option you can use is to thinapp as msi, and then you can distribute the application "like" it was installed to the os with sccm or any tool you use.

0 Kudos
fnature
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you, looks promising,

does vmware horizon provides thinapp for unlimited number of desktops ?

so am I correct :

- you cannot assign thinapp application from horizon repository to physical PCs.

- but you can manually copy the thinapp application to the physical PCs or use a network share.

- you can have unlimited number of thinapp applications with horizon.

thanks!

francois

0 Kudos
pbjork
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

- you cannot assign thinapp application from horizon repository to physical PCs.

Correct

- but you can manually copy the thinapp application to the physical PCs or use a network share.

Yes

- you can have unlimited number of thinapp applications with horizon.

Yes

fnature
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you !

0 Kudos