VMware Horizon Community
Neonewbie
Contributor
Contributor

how many virtual clients?

Hi guys sorry but a total newbie question here.

been re directed from the ESXI forum.

I have been told that this VMWARE VIEW 4 is the product to have if i want to diploy and manage many virtual machines for my clients to access.

I guess my first few questions for you are.

4 questions

1.How many virtual client can you create on one typical server say with a quad core G5 WITH 32GB ram?

2.And is there a limit to how many users. and servers?

3.is it a bare metal install? right on server?

4.can it be accessed by RDP as well as PcOIP?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1) can't really give you an exact figure in terms of how many vms per host. it's going to be determined by how much cpu, memory, etc you give to each machine. if you do some research you'll find that a lot of people recommend roughly 7vms per core. here is a good white paper on sizing your environment:

www.virtuall.eu/download-document/vdi-storage-deep-impact-v1-1

2) view can scale out to support thousands and thousands of users.

3) view has several components. at a minimum you'll need a windows server 2003 machine (virtual is fine) to install the view connection server on. if you want to use linked clones you'll need to install some additional software on your vcenter server. if you want to give your users remote access you'll need another server (again virtual is fine) to run view security server from.

4) rdp and pcoip are both supported.

hope that helps.

0 Kudos
Neonewbie
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ill look through the paper.

Wow i Really thought it would hold more Vms per core.

so an average server from Dell lets say will only hold well less than 20 VMS?

and looking at pricing for the VMware 4 enterprise starter , it mentions that it has licensed for 10 desktop VMs. ?

so am i right in thinking here that to set up and support 20 VMms.

I would need server costing say £2000.

2 lots of 10 VMware 4 licensing at 1800 = £3600

Plus windows server 2003-2008 plus its licencing .

Am i there for assuming correct that to support 20 remote users on my VMware 4 would cost in access of 6-7000 pounds.

No that cant be right. other wise why would people do it.

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As far as question 1 goes, we have 1 host with dual quad 2.5Ghz, and 36 Gigs of RAM. There are 30 Virtual Desktops with 1 Gig of RAM each and it is running pretty well. I would recommend two hosts just for redundancy.

Hope this helps

Neonewbie
Contributor
Contributor

thanks yes helpful it is.

nice powerful server.

I just really thought you could get more VMs per server.

but hey hey. what do you think about my costings there above, would that be about right for the server and licencing for your 20 VMS and server?

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would have a hard time believing that you couldnt get 20 VMs running decently on that setup.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

7vms per core is a pretty conservative #

the # of vms per host is always going to be directly related to the workload being generated by your guests

i have a dual quad core server w / 48gb of RAM and am planning for 65vms per host

0 Kudos
ProPenguin
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would really like to know how that turns out for you. That would be helpful to me in the future for planning more roll outs of VM Desktops.

Thank you

0 Kudos