VMware Horizon Community
baber
Expert
Expert

how can get backup from one of horizon desktop

Dear all

Hi

i want to know how can get backup from some desktops that use composer and are link clone for example all of my desktops that use composer with link clone have 2 disk one of them has 20MB size and the other has 80G now how can i get backup from this desktop?????

BR

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try (Veeam Backup & Replication)

Backup of Linked Clone VMs

When you perform backup of linked clone VMs, Veeam Backup & Replication captures and stores to the backup file the following data:

Content of the template to which the VM is linked

Content of the VM user disk — delta disk

vApp metadata

VM metadata

Data to Back Up

LINK: Data Recovery - Veeam Backup Guide for vSphere https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backup/vsphere/vcloud_backup_data.html?ver=95

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your goal?

Are you going to protect users data with this backup or save the VM to some troubleshuting steps?

It is possible to clone or backup some of linked clone VMs - you just create another VM with copy of a replica disk and you can use that VM seperately (the same hostname!!!). But, I am strongly recommend, before start cloning or backuping a VM you must enter the VM in maintenance mode and power it off to prevent some problems with composer service.

And, of course, you can't restore the vm as a part of Horizon pool VM.

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

i asked this question because i get backup from one of my desktops that was power on  now it show warning (consolidate disk) and when click on my machine and select consolidate can not do that and i think this is important my disk can not consolidate if i power off my vm and get backup nothing do consolidate for disk?

BR

0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert

and the other problem is that can not power off vm because i want get backup every day from that vm and can not say to my users every day that i want power off vm

can i get backup from one of desktop with veeam without power it off and can restore that successfuly?

BR

0 Kudos
ALEX_TSM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, sorry for delay

In my opinion, when you work with VMware Horizon or Citrix you shouldn't choose backup entire user VM as DRP strategy. Because of the statement what you cannot bring a VM back to vm pool after restore.

You should use folder redirection or something like it to take out user data to external server which is the more correct DRP strategy.

Now, you can try to use VEEAM to backup user data inside VM. But there is no fast way to restore user data in this case.

0 Kudos