VMware Horizon Community
ekrejci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

getting started with view

Hello,

I'm new to view and I'm wondering about several points that aren't cristal clear at the admin guide point of view:

- at the Automated Pool level do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

- still in the Automated Pool, can we use static ip delivered through post customization scripts?

- how the connection server connect to the VMs? only with fqdn or with ip address when no dns resolution occure for the vms?

- when using composer and linked clones do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

- also in a delegated AD mode (meaning only have permission to add computer in a specific OU) must I create the computer object prior to deployment or this can be done automatically?

any suggestion are more than welcome at this point of my installation.

in advance thanks thos whom will reply

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

• at the Automated Pool level do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

For non-linekd clones you can have them in a workgroup. you have do disable the SSO component during the agent installation. The broker is in the domain anyway so you have to logins for the user then.

• still in the Automated Pool, can we use static ip delivered through post customization scripts?

You'll need to have dynamic DHCP for Linked clone pools. The customization script runs when the desktop is up and the desktop needs the IP before...

• how the connection server connect to the VMs? only with fqdn or with ip address when no dns resolution occure for the vms?

You'll need to have DNS FQDN to work properly

• when using composer and linked clones do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

Master must be in a domain. do a ipconfig /release when you shutdown the vm for the snapshot.

• also in a delegated AD mode (meaning only have permission to add
    computer in a specific OU) must I create the computer object prior to
    deployment or this can be done automatically?

With Linked Clones it is be done automaticaly by the View Composer. When using traditional VDI with the Templates you'll need to use a script which will do that for you. (bring the desktops in a specific OU) During the provisioning/sysprep the desktop goes to the root automatically

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

• at the Automated Pool level do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

For non-linekd clones you can have them in a workgroup. you have do disable the SSO component during the agent installation. The broker is in the domain anyway so you have to logins for the user then.

• still in the Automated Pool, can we use static ip delivered through post customization scripts?

You'll need to have dynamic DHCP for Linked clone pools. The customization script runs when the desktop is up and the desktop needs the IP before...

• how the connection server connect to the VMs? only with fqdn or with ip address when no dns resolution occure for the vms?

You'll need to have DNS FQDN to work properly

• when using composer and linked clones do the VMs must be part of a domain or can they just be in workgroups?

Master must be in a domain. do a ipconfig /release when you shutdown the vm for the snapshot.

• also in a delegated AD mode (meaning only have permission to add
    computer in a specific OU) must I create the computer object prior to
    deployment or this can be done automatically?

With Linked Clones it is be done automaticaly by the View Composer. When using traditional VDI with the Templates you'll need to use a script which will do that for you. (bring the desktops in a specific OU) During the provisioning/sysprep the desktop goes to the root automatically

Thanks,

Christoph

Blog: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/dommermuth

0 Kudos