VMware Horizon Community
8Corners
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

dual monitor - performance

Hey Guys,
I got a problem belonging to two screens and vmware.

some context:
- View Premier 5.0 on ESX5, storage via iSCSI
- Clients: Wyse P20 (zero clients, FW 3.5.1)
- Win7, office 2010
- VM: 2 vCPU, even 2GB ram
- simple network, no firewall between

problem:
- Zero-client with one monitor (19" or 22") -> no problem (everything runs smoothly)
- Zero-Client with 2 monitors (19 "and 22") -> massive problems when moving windows, scrolling extremely slow.

VGA memory is limited to max! View settings is up to 4 displays with max resolution.

where is the fault?
thanks for answering!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
randystanley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You may want to try the MKS Polling rate increase that could improve the video performance.  The reference comes from VMware KB 2010359.  The steps below are for the Advanced Setting change.

Note: As an option, make this configuration change on a single test virtual machine. If this resolves the issue, implement the workaround on the base virtual machine, then recompose a linked clone pool to a new snapshot.

1. Power off the virtual machine using the vSphere Client.
  2. Select the VM and choose Edit Settings…
  3. Select the Options tab
  4. Select General setting and under Configuration Parameters hit the Configuration Parameters… button
  5. Select the Add Row button
  6. Enter mks.poll.headlessRates in the Name field and 1000 100 2 in the Value field (no quotes).
    • mks.poll.headlessRates="1000 100 2"
  7. Select OK.
  8. Create a new Snapshot and Recompose a single desktop or the pool
Randy Stanley | vExpert 2012 | VCDX #94 | @randystanley

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
spacemonkey879
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have had this problem with DELL FX 100 that use the same Teradici chip inside.

I had to update the the device with patches from the following site, as its a problem with the device not VMware products.

http://techsupport.teradici.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15164

I hope this helps

Chris

0 Kudos
Chad09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Have you tried disabling 3d rendering? I understand this may not be possible for your environment, but I have to have it disabled in order to get better performance.

0 Kudos
randystanley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You may want to try the MKS Polling rate increase that could improve the video performance.  The reference comes from VMware KB 2010359.  The steps below are for the Advanced Setting change.

Note: As an option, make this configuration change on a single test virtual machine. If this resolves the issue, implement the workaround on the base virtual machine, then recompose a linked clone pool to a new snapshot.

1. Power off the virtual machine using the vSphere Client.
  2. Select the VM and choose Edit Settings…
  3. Select the Options tab
  4. Select General setting and under Configuration Parameters hit the Configuration Parameters… button
  5. Select the Add Row button
  6. Enter mks.poll.headlessRates in the Name field and 1000 100 2 in the Value field (no quotes).
    • mks.poll.headlessRates="1000 100 2"
  7. Select OK.
  8. Create a new Snapshot and Recompose a single desktop or the pool
Randy Stanley | vExpert 2012 | VCDX #94 | @randystanley
0 Kudos
8Corners
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

editing the polling rate was the solution.

thanks a lot.

0 Kudos