VMware Horizon Community
dcarle
Contributor
Contributor

disconnect a session while user is inactive

Hello,

we're setting up an VDI environment for doctors. But we have the following issue: When the doctor is working on the virtual pc in his regular office, he can be called to go to the other side of the hospital to do something and the he can log in to his virtual pc and continue what he was doing. So in the meantime he's going to the other place his session is still open in his regular office when he forgot to disconnect his session.

Is there something that can disconnect the session when there is no more activity?

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
dcarle
Contributor
Contributor

Does anybody has any idea?

0 Kudos
bwilsor
Contributor
Contributor

there is an option in the "Desktop/Pool Settings". Make sure that "Allow multiple sessions per user" is not checked. In my environment. If a user is already logged into a vm via wyse terminal. Then they decide to login to another terminal then the first session will be disconnected and the user will be logged back from the terminal he/she is at.

In my environment we use WYSE terminals to access the entitled VMs running XP SP3

0 Kudos
dcarle
Contributor
Contributor

Thats not the problem.

If someone has to leave his office A and goes to another room B, which is 10 min walking from room A. I looking for something that can disconnect after a minute or so when no activity, when he forgot, to disconnect his session in room A; Because in the meantime he's going to room B someone else can enter room A before the first person is logged in in room B.

Someone an idea?

0 Kudos
JCL225
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If I understand this correctly, you're looking for an option to prevent someone from hopping onto his vm desktop while the user is moving from location to location.

This isn't a view or vm solution, but I would suggest turning on his screensaver with the option to lock the desktop on resume (display logon screen etc depending on version of Windows). It's a built in Windows option with a seting when to engage. (1 min, 1 hour, etc)

If you're looking for an option to push from a global network level, like the settings in the pool, can set the screensave from group policy.

Open the group policy for the particular group, User Config -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Display, and play with those options.

TShoun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What are you using as clients? SOme products have this function built in.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is the best solution and I was going to reccomend the same.

One question to think about is.. how do you do it today? Physical or virtual, when the doc gets up and leaves his office desk, his PC is wide open unless he does the 3 finger salute, or there is an idle time ( Screen Saver with password )

On thing to remember is the screen saver or even a disconnect / lock GPO will annoy most doc's I think. If set for one minute. They will be doing a lot of logging back on. You might need to consider a smart card solution. More work and complexity for you but less hassle for them.

WP

dcarle
Contributor
Contributor

Currently is in a test-stage, so now were using regular desktops or laptops, but next stage we will test with thin-clients.

0 Kudos
dcarle
Contributor
Contributor

Today were using proximity cards, but not everone is using it on their desktop.

In case we go virtual, it should indeed be safer using smart cards instead of proximity cards.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like what you are asking is default behaviour of View if "enable multiple sessions" is NOT enabled for the pool. If doctor in office A is working on a virtual desktop session and forgets to disconnect, when he walks to office B and logs in regardless i.e. as long as the session still exists whether live or disconnected, he will automatically connect to his existing session in office B. At that point his view client will disconnect at office A. This is a default roaming feature of View.

Automatically disconnecting sessions is something different and is more security or maintenance feature. You could enable through View or Group Policy that idle sessions disconnect after say 15 mins. However regardless of whether or not this is set, it does not affect the roaming feature mentioned above.

0 Kudos
andreleibovici
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware View – Disconnect, Logoff or Shutdown your VM when IDLE

Look at

Andre

0 Kudos