VMware Horizon Community
WheatonCollege
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

desktops linger in "Agent Unreachable" folder for a long time, apipa address might be a clue

Hi all,

We are running View 6.1.1 with Windows 7 linked clone desktops. Lately some desktops hang in the "Agent Unreachable" state for what seems like 15 or 20 minutes before they get refreshed. We have the pools set to logoff and refresh after 1 minute if disconnected. We noticed that the desktops in this odd state have an apipa address for the virtual NIC (starts with 169.254.x.x). If we go into the desktop as the local admin and do an ipconfig /renew it will get a valid IP on our network and as soon as it gets a valid IP it leaves the "Agent Unreachable" queue and goes through the refresh process. It seems the other way we can get these desktops to process quicker is to delete them.

This isn't isolated to VM's on a particular ESXi host (i've seen it happen on all the hosts) and when I look at the network settings for the ESXi hosts I can see that the VMs in question are attached to the virtual switch. I made sure the virtual switch has enough ports (120) and I checked the DHCP server(s) and there are plenty of available IPs in the subnet where the virtual desktops live.

It also doesn't seem to be isolated to one pool, we are seeing it in a pool that uses Persona Management and a pool that does not.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NxN_Slite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don`t know this could help you but we had apipa error on our vdi (everything was working fine but it broke after an update) we had to close 1 of our DHCP servers (we had 2) Since then everything is back to normal. We will need to do a DHCP trace to know exactly what is the problem cause none of our dhcp gave a clue back then.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NxN_Slite
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don`t know this could help you but we had apipa error on our vdi (everything was working fine but it broke after an update) we had to close 1 of our DHCP servers (we had 2) Since then everything is back to normal. We will need to do a DHCP trace to know exactly what is the problem cause none of our dhcp gave a clue back then.

0 Kudos
WheatonCollege
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks nXn_Slight, it ended up there was a routing issue inside the network that was causing the path to one DHCP server to intermittently be cut off. After the network admins fixed that everything seemed to be happy again.

0 Kudos