VMware Horizon Community
mat2k7
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

default Printer changing

Hi All,

we are again facing issues with printers within our VDI environment.  As some of you might already know the default printer issue has been discussed several times. During the "thinprint" days several workarounds were posted to get around the issue by implementing GPO logon scripts or UEM settings in order to keep the users default printer.

We have switched to Vmware integrated printing and printers started changing again. The old fixes do not work.

According to the KB -> VMware Knowledge Base​ the integrated printing feature forces the local printer to become default. That is why we had to implement the workaround and it is working for most users. Unfortunately the Printers still keep changing for some of them.

Any idea how to fix this? We are not using UEM yet.

Environment = Horizon 7.12, Windows 10 1809, Roaming Profiles.

Thanks

Mat

6 Replies
ada2017
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

In VMware Integrated Printing, a new setting to stop setting local printer as default is being developed now. In 7.12, I'm afraid there is no workaround for this issue.

0 Kudos
Marc_P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

We have this default printer issue but we are using Horizon 2006. The user sets a default printer but when they log back on it's set to a local printer attached by the Integrated Printing facility.

How long until there is a fix to make it that the local printers aren't made default?

CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In case anyone from VMware is monitoring this thread I want to reply if for no other reason than to add my unhappiness at having the default printer forced with no way of telling VMware Integrated Printing (VIP) otherwise.  We have a mechanism in place already to set our default printers, and I don't want VIP messing with it at all.  Leave my default printers alone!!

We have set up filters to block some always-unneeded local printers from being blocked, such as "Fax", "Microsoft XPS Document Writer", and "Microsoft Print to PDF".  This is done via Group Policy (Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | VMware Integrated Printing | Printer Filter).  I'll put the filter string we use below.  I don't totally get all the syntax, but someone set it up for us and it works, and we've added to it (as described below) following the conventions he used.  The filtering is working perfectly for us.

Our solution is to completely block locally-attached printers that are "under our control" (i.e. company owned) that we are mapping already through normal network sharing/connecting.  We do this by implementing a standard naming convention for all locally-attached printers (that we want to block).  We now always include the term "LOCAL" in the printer name.  We have added that term to our filter setting in the aforementioned GPO.  It now works perfectly for us.  You'll need to be sure you have the .adm and.admx for "printerRedirection".  You can get them from the "VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle" download for your version of Horizon.

Any printers that you WANT mapped into the session, just don't add them to the filter.  Unfortunately, it's going to be mapped as the default printer, and I don't have a workaround for that (other than maybe something talked about in this article, which we haven't tried yet).

Anyway, I hope this helps.  And VMware, please give us a way (Group Policy) to tell VIP "Do not set the default printer").

Here's our filter string for the GPO:

PrinterName=".*Fax.*" OR PrinterName=".*Microsoft Print to PDF.*" OR PrinterName=".*Microsoft XPS Document Writer.*" OR PrinterName=".*OneNote.*" OR PrinterName=".*LOCAL.*"

0 Kudos
CraigD
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@ada2017

Is this option available now?

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, in Horizon 2012

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2012/horizon-remote-desktop-features/GUID-81E84F1C-C446-46...

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 11.01.31 AM.png

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
ada2017
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. In Horizon 2012 you can use this agent GPO to not change default printer in agent.

0 Kudos