VMware Horizon Community
medea61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

customizing forever?

Hello All

I am installing an vdi-eval-environment for a customer. VI itself seems ok, building the desktop-VMs (XP SP2 with latest patches) from the template with customization looks nice as well but when VDM creates a VM it hangs forever in status "Customizing" from VDMs point of view.

Ever seen such a situation? I am thankfu for every hint as I am pretty much stuck here...

Best regards

Roman

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
jfberdyck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Straight from VMware support on this: at a command prompt on the machine in question, run "sc delete bootrun" (w/o quotes). I our case I didnt' even need to reboot the machine - it popped us as ready in the VDM console, and we were able to log right in. We did this with persistent pools and individually-deployed machines. The individual machines would read "ready" in the VDM, however they still would not allow login.

Apparently this is a known bug in the sysprep process.

0 Kudos
maltic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Straight from VMware support? Must have been your lucky day - I have also created a ticket for this which is still open ... for 5 (five) weeks now!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
jdcoulam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm experiencing this issue.

I have checked the bootrun solution but when I run it, it says "The specified service does not exist as an installed service"

No firewall, and I can RDP fine into the system

This is a new install of VDM Administrator 2.1.0 build-596

My guest OS is XP SP3

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You should also check the dns name resolution.

Sent with BlackBerry

0 Kudos
jdcoulam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

DNS works fine. I even added the DNS servers manually to the guest's network settings just to make sure.

0 Kudos
mgancarz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We had this same issue, we resolved it by re-creating the sysprep customization from scratch. Somehow editing an existing customization specification in VirtualCenter caused it to become corrupt somehow. Creating a new one from scratch and setting VDM to use that for customizing provisioned VMs stopped it from hanging at 'customizing' forever.

It's worth noting that running 'sc delete bootrun' also fixed the issue for us, but we preferred the creating a new sysprep from scratch, since then all new virtual machines fully customize and go to ready without having to run that command on each one.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thread moved to the Product specific VDM forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos