VMware Horizon Community
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

customization operation timed out VMware View 4.5

I quite new to Vmware view, and this is my first time setting it up,, so please bare with me.

I receive the error above when trying to create an automatic linked pool.

I also reviewed previous post that said abot making sure:

• DCHP is enable on master image
  • VMware view agent is installed
  • Vmware tools is installed
  • Firewall is disabled

The new VMs are created and when I login from Vsphere is see that they connect to the domain, receive IP from DHCP. But I do not see their name in my DNS.

I hope to have provided enough info, and will appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At very first just query nslookup and check whether the clones hostname is resolving or not. Also select al the Vms from view administrator page and perform a reset and see <--  If both these actions resolve your issue then it was due to a minor network outage happened during the provisioning process.

If not then,

1. Whether the DNS server is an active directory integrated one or not ? If not check for the permission to get registered in that DNS server.

2. Whether the DNS entry received from the DHCP Server to clone is pointing to the right DNS Server ? and same DNS / Domain name is resolvable from vCenter server ?

3. Have you used Sysprep customization ? If yes please be aware that the domain setting will not be picked from the custom spec but DNS settings will be picked from custom spec. In such case the DNS setting given in custom spec should able to resolve the domain whic added in vcenter configuration page of View administrator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
kgsivan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

At very first just query nslookup and check whether the clones hostname is resolving or not. Also select al the Vms from view administrator page and perform a reset and see <--  If both these actions resolve your issue then it was due to a minor network outage happened during the provisioning process.

If not then,

1. Whether the DNS server is an active directory integrated one or not ? If not check for the permission to get registered in that DNS server.

2. Whether the DNS entry received from the DHCP Server to clone is pointing to the right DNS Server ? and same DNS / Domain name is resolvable from vCenter server ?

3. Have you used Sysprep customization ? If yes please be aware that the domain setting will not be picked from the custom spec but DNS settings will be picked from custom spec. In such case the DNS setting given in custom spec should able to resolve the domain whic added in vcenter configuration page of View administrator

0 Kudos
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response,

Indeed I had some issues with DNS, My DHCP was pointing to another DNS. I change the setting and will retry to see what happens.

0 Kudos
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should the linked clones received an A record in DNS ?

Or how do you see the link clones in DNS ?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, linked clones will have all records same as a normal physical/virtual machine in DNS.

-noble

-nObLe
0 Kudos
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another question . If I am deploying linked clones but receive the customization timed out and I do not see the entry in DNS.

Where would you suggest I start looking ?

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

which version of guest os you use in this image gold ? is linked or dedicated this pool ?

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest image is Windows 7.

And I am unsing linked pool. but after further research I found out that i cannot ping the vmware view connection server ( from the AD, or any other OS  in the same network).

So I am thinking of scratching the view connection server and reinstall it. so If anyone has a proper guideline for setting up and configuring View connection server please leave a link.

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The best guide to by is the installation guide , http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view45_installation_guide.pdf.   You may also want to look at the server firewall to if it's blocking connections.  

MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

i have a crazy test. try change a type of network adapter.... vmxnet, e1000

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My NIC type is already "E1000"

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

do not have a error ? can be a type of license. or try change the adapter to vmxnet in gold image.

this happen with me, and in view manager do you can have any code of error (if have, is a type of license KMS) if you don´t have a message of error specific, make a change of network how i say, and try.

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If customization time out happens and no entry is created DNS,

Make sure you have

Correct network settings specified in Custom Spec (set to DHCP and correct DNS)

Manually loging in to failed vm through VI client and Check if your machine has joined to Domain, if the machine point to correct DNS ?

If the machine can resolve connection server fqdn.

Make sure your DHCP/DNS can create accounts in DNS.

You can also manually deploy a vm in vcenter using the same custom spec and make sure if it is working.

-noble

-nObLe
SH1986
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank for all the replies,

I had the following issues:

• The VMs received the worng DHCP (fixed)
  • The vmware view agent was installed but the view composer agent was not installed due to the fact that the vmware tool was not installed.

So as a advice installed the current version of the vmware tools and then install the view agent otherwise you will not be able to select the view composer agent as an option.

Also If your planning to use the view client on windows 7 and get the error connection timeout, you need to download the newest version of view client . this issue is caused due to a windows update.

Thanks a gain after about 2 weeks we have it running thank you to all that replied.

0 Kudos
elgwhoppo
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can I ask what build of the VMware View agent you ended up using on the Windows 7 box?

VCDX-Desktop
0 Kudos