VMware Horizon Community
giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cp-parent and memory usage warking

Hi, 

we are using Horizon 2103 on a VxRail cluster updated to latest vSphere/vCenter available.

I can see that all the cp-parent vms for the instant clone pools are triggering a waring for "Virtual machine memory usage".

The only reference about this problem that I found is this KB:
https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2151438

It says that "This issue has been resolved when using vCenter 7.x or later with Horizon 8 (starting with version 2006)" but I'm using newer versions than this one and still getting the warning!

Has anyone found a permanent fix for this issue ?
(eventually I will open a SR)

Thanks
Giuseppe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, 

we managed to find the solution.

It's a permission issue!

For the horizon user we didn't user an Administrator role but a special Instant Clones role as described here:

Privileges Required for the vCenter Server User With Instant Clones (vmware.com)

But it turned out that this list lacks the permission "Alarms" > "Disable or enable alarm on entity" making the horizon connection server unable to disable the memory warning alarm on the cp-parents objects.

Enabling that permission and publishing a new image finally solved the problem!

I was told that they will eventually fix the docs and publish a KB.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies
kenobi79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Giuseppe,

in the KB was write that "This high memory usage alert in vCenter is a false alarm".

I don't find other.

Open a GSS ticket for this issue. Is the quickest solution

Bye

Bye - Riccardo Panzieri
https://www.i3piccioni.it
0 Kudos
gefleborg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Giuseppe!

Was there any solution on this? We see the same.

/Peter

0 Kudos
giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Peter, 

the issue is still there with no solution.
I've opened the first support request in July I've been given no solution at all except  disabling the cp-parent feature from instant clones!

The latest hint from the support was, and I quote:

"Virtual machine has 8 GB (8,293,980), and the guest OS touched in memory, AVG (7,677.982).
Guest OS has touched in the memory. If memory utilization is more than 90% (warning), 95% (error), this will display an alert on vCenter.
This is not a VMware issue."

I think it will take another 6 months to have this warning cleared! 😞
In the mean time I suggest you opening a SR and if you want you can refer to B2B case 21280963111 and 21269740810

0 Kudos
gefleborg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Giuseppe!

We had this with old Horizon (7.x) on VxRail 4.7 on quanta hosts since we started with instant clones. When we first saw this I found the KB saying it is a false alert.

Since the spring we run Horizon on new HW (VxRail e560f) were version now is 7.0.241 and now we are on Horizon 2106.

I'll wait a moment and then check if we have any more luck with a support case. We have another horizon/vsphere support case and some other activity planned before x-mas so I'll wait until that is closed.

0 Kudos
giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, 

we managed to find the solution.

It's a permission issue!

For the horizon user we didn't user an Administrator role but a special Instant Clones role as described here:

Privileges Required for the vCenter Server User With Instant Clones (vmware.com)

But it turned out that this list lacks the permission "Alarms" > "Disable or enable alarm on entity" making the horizon connection server unable to disable the memory warning alarm on the cp-parents objects.

Enabling that permission and publishing a new image finally solved the problem!

I was told that they will eventually fix the docs and publish a KB.

Giuseppe

gefleborg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

We implemented this as you described it and i works now.

Tx for sharing your experience with a reply😊

/Peter

0 Kudos