VMware Horizon Community
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

composer/view does not rename the virtual machines.

I evaluating VM View version 3.1.1 build 175957 and have run into the following issues:

1. The individual vm's are not getting renamed.

In AD I now have 5 machines with the same name. I have to login through the console on each vm and remove it from the domain.

If I just try changing the name to the correct one, I get a message stating that it exists. So I have to manually rename the vm to the correct name, join it to a workgroup, then rejoin it to the domain.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Just out of curiosity if you deploy a regular VM from a template does it get renamed correctly?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

As far as I know, I've since found out that if I manually rename the vm's they are, for some reason, no longer available to the view server. Even restarting it doesn't seem to correct the problem. There was an option, I think, under the previous version in view admin to allow the system x number of administrator boots after its been cloned, don't see that option under this latest build 3.1.1 build 175957, I wonder if without it the provisioning process isn't completing properly?

0 Kudos
Boogiebox
Contributor
Contributor

Have you set under "Provioning Setting" the Field "Naming Pattern"?

It is a good idea to set it like "NameForTheVM".

You got then NameForTheVM01, NameForTheVM02, NameForTheVM03...

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have any errors in the customization logs?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I appear to be having the same issue. After i renamed the other VM's i was only able to get into one of the three desktops that were in the pool. Once i logged off the one desktop i was upable to get back in. In the admin console they all say ERROR unser the status column. The details of that error say...View Composer agent initialization erro (-1000): SVI status not available (waited -1000 seconds). The virtual machine names are different but the "machine name" is the same for all VM's in the pool. Is there a way to change that in View manager?

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Putter,

Can you check a few things :

Make sure port 4001 is open from the desktop to the Connection server. also check that all firewalls are allowing the port as well.

Make sure the Parent VM is a member of the Domain before you create the snapshot.

Try removing your AV from the ParentVM and create the desktop pool again.

Make sure the version of View Agent is the same as the View Connection server

These are a few of the things that caused problems for me Smiley Happy

J

If this was helpfull please consider awarding points

0 Kudos
skipbigelow
Contributor
Contributor

As reported above by jputter, the errors are the same. There are no firewall issues inside the trusted network where all reside. AV is controlled by another group and is locked down through GPOs so I can't uninstall or disable. We're using Symantec Endpoint Protection. The same account that is used to create the machine account in AD is explicitly set as a member of the local admin's group.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Make sure that the quickprep settings is valid, do not forget to put domain/username where it is indicated.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I had customization issues awhile back and after much discussion with VMware support it was determined that having AV on the template was causing customization to fail. I removed AV from the template and developed a install routine for after deployment and everything has worked since then. It would be worth a try and for what it' worth I was also using Symantec Endpoint proteciton.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As said AV can cause these types of issues. I had customization problems with my full desktops through View a couple of months back. After much discussion with VMware support it was determined that the AV was causing the issues. We removed AV from the template and developed an install routine to deploy AV after View had finished with it's customization. We haven't had any issues since then. I was also using Symantec Endpoint protection.

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, any progress on your problem ?

0 Kudos
jusrr
Contributor
Contributor

Guys, any progress on your problem ?

0 Kudos
thomsit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

The same behavior here. And it is caused by Symantec Endpoint Protection. After uninstalling SEP 11 the rename does work.

Regards Alexander

0 Kudos
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been on a course on View recently and they specifically mentioned SEP having an issue when syspreping machines as the SID/GUID is not changed. They said you had to remove SEP and add it in later.

0 Kudos