VMware Horizon Community
kappyninewood
Contributor
Contributor

changing setting on existing non-persistent view pool

I'm observing that a session established prior to changing the Automatically logoff after disconnect do not pick up the new setting and the session remains in a disconnected state rather than logging off.    What is the expected behavior when changing this setting while the pool is enabled and active?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I feel that would be the expected behavior.   Old connections have the old settings and anything connected post change would receive the new settings. 

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

It depends on the version of View, but for 5.1+ (possibly slightly earlier) it takes effect as soon as the policy is pushed out to the VM and picked up, this is a two step process - the VM is reconfigured through vCenter to include the new policy, then the agent loads the data on its next check. This can take a few minutes, it's not immediate. You will see the following line in the agent logs when it kicks in:

Configuration update for DisconnectTimeout - HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Node Manager\DisconnectLimitMinutes is now XXX

And if a session is already in the Disconnected state:

Restarted timer on DisconnectTimeoutChanged for session XXX

Older versions of View would not apply the disconnect policy change for existing sessions.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Does that require both the agent and CB being on 5.1 or just the CB?     Thanks for the info. 

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Just an enhancement on the agent, you can see the setting pushed from the broker in the standard machine.id field - that part is essentially unchanged from VDM 2.0:

...;vdi.broker.disconnecttimeout=XXX;...

Looking at it though, I think this agent behaviour has been in there a lot longer; since View 4.5 in fact. I see it locally, I'd be interested to know if you don't. As I said, you do need to wait for the agent to pick up the setting, it's not instantaneous.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I downloaded my vmx file, changed the timeout, waited about 20 minutes and redownloaded the file and the change was there.    Does that mean the change is then applied to new and exisiting sessions automatically.   

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander

If the value has been updated by the broker then it should be, yes. Do you see the log entries I highlighted in my first post?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Yeah, those updated values are there.     I would test it but that would mean I have to disconnect from my sesson and I never disconnect.. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos