VMware Horizon Community
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cd/dvd drive(s) and local mode

surprisingly one of the biggest gotchas of my vdi project has been in relation to cd/dvd drives. im still can't believe how many people are still needing to read data from cd/dvds.    we use wyse p20 zero clients and have had nothing but problems with USB connected cd/dvd drives. i believe this has mostly to do with the fact the the p20s use usb 1.0 which was an oversight on my part. we are getting ready to rollout local mode desktops now,  we just got a crop of thinkpad t410's in and i am unclear as to whether or not we will be able to leverage the local cd/dvd drive within the local mode desktop for reading and burning cd/dvds. any insight here would be appreciated.  thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DDSoutheast
Contributor
Contributor

what kind of problems are you having?  i've had problems as well (drives disconnecting for the vm, "no source signal" errors, etc) but Teradici support gave me a firmware update that helped.  didnt fix it entirely, but it helped.  provide a little more detail and i might be able to help some.

0 Kudos
ZeRoC00L
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a customer with the same issues.

Unfortunately the USB ports on the Teradici terminals are all USB1.1 versions, so very limited these days. We were a bit disappointed that the USB ports were not 2.0 version.

Now we have installed some network USB devices on each department, to which everyone can plugin a USB CD/DVD or USB device and connect. Not ideal, but workable.

0 Kudos
chaz112182
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i have been having the same problems. session disconnects, cd rom drive not appearing with the virtual desktop, etc. 

i assume this has to do with what ZeRoC00L has mentioned with the p20 being only equiped with USB 1.x.  I too was very disapointed when I learned that the p20 were not USB 2.0. You would think the reseller would have mentioned this, right? Not so much...

0 Kudos