VMware Horizon Community
CWV
Contributor
Contributor

cannot RDP to another machine from within a vm workstation connected with View/PCOIP

I'm using View /PCOIP to connect to a linked-clone vm. Then from within this vm, am attempting to RDP to another machine on the network. RDP just goes out to lunch. Consistently.

The physical machine has been registry-tweaked to launch the View client immediately on startup.

From a non-tweaked machine, I can perform the process fine. It is only within the reg-tweaked machine that the problem occurs. Changing the View Protocol to RDP also allows the process to go forward. I'm thinking there's something on the physical machine that needs to start (like an RDP service?) prior to the View client being launched. Anyone else run into this? Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I replied to this Friday but it looks like my response was lost.  I apologize if you get duplicate responses.

What method are you using to launch the View client immediately on startup?  Are you replacing explorer.exe with wswc.exe, are you setting HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, or are you doing something else?

0 Kudos
CWV
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response. We are doing the following to auto-launch the View client:

Create a View.cmd file with the following.

@echo off

:View

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Client\bin\wswc.exe"

goto View

Place it where ever you like, c:\BatchFiles for example

Create a vbs script with the following in it. Place it wherever you like C:\BatchFiles for example.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\BatchFiles\view.cmd" & Chr(34), 0

Set WshShell = Nothing

Open Regedit and go to ;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path and the Windows Scripting command, e.g wscript c:\BatchFiles\view.vbs

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My assumption here is that RDP requires explorer.exe to be running as the shell, as it probably does some communications with it.  I doubt there is much you can do about it.

0 Kudos
CWV
Contributor
Contributor

I was going down the same path, but was hoping someone else had some experience with it and may have found a workaround……..

0 Kudos