VMware Horizon Community
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor

can't select parent VM for view 4.5

I have installed View 4.5 and installed XP template (without join to domain) and convert to template. Deployed virtual machine from this template and works fine. I go through automatic pool configuration on View 4.5 console and through the end, i couldn't select the Parent VM when i type in "xp01" which is my template name and couldn't find it.

When i click on "Show incompatible parent VMs" it show the "test" i cloned from template and also win7 i created.

Can someone help me how to select my parent VMs and what stop me from finding it?

My sysprep wizard is weird, it clone the template but power off state, i have to power on the cloned VM and then it went through sysprep and joined AD as specified on customization wizard, so not sure if that's the problem please assist.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

When using linked clones you don't convert to template. You power down the VM and create a snapshot which is what your parent image will be based on. The guide for creating a parent image for linked clones starts on page 63 of the admin guide.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/view45_admin_guide.pdf

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to fix this because i don't know the steps but after reading someone about snapshot and i tried to snapshot, but has it power on snapshot couldn't do it, so try snapshot with vm power off and it works fine. thanks for info.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

No problem. I would still read the admin guide and the reference documentation for View. There are some great best practices listed such as releasing the ip of the VM before shutting down and creating the snapshot.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor

I now has different issue with "this desktop currently has no desktop sources available. Please connecting to this desktop again later" any chance you can help?

0 Kudos
vmwareluverz
Contributor
Contributor

It also not completed the sysprep customization wizard i selected. in the dashboard, it said it still "customizing" status. I'm wondering if its important to make sure sysprep has to successfuly completed and joined AD? View Manager spinned up the VM as expected but doesn't seems to complete the sysprep.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Did you install the agent inside of the parent VM? The desktop unavailable errors are typically the result of the agent inside of the VM not communicating properly with the broker. If you do have the agent installed already then make sure there are no firewalls blocking communication and that DNS is working correctly.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

Twitter: http://twitter.com/mittim12

0 Kudos