VMware Horizon Community
dingding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

can i run view 3.1 on vsphere 4

it seems the complementary license with view package is still for ESX 3, so anybody have run VDI on vsphere 4?

---- Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

View 3.1 does not currently support vSphere (hence the fact that it still comes with VI3 licensing). Look for a new release of View with vSphere support sometime before the end of the year.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

View 3.1 does not currently support vSphere (hence the fact that it still comes with VI3 licensing). Look for a new release of View with vSphere support sometime before the end of the year.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos
korpy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

But is does work on vSphere. An essentials license is quite cheap, this way you can move to vSphere. I use it a lot for small companies. 10 users vdi starter + essentials bundle.

greetz -frank-

impag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We run ESX 3.5u3 and we plan to migrate to vSphere (ESX4) in September. We run View 3.1 as well.
I expect an easy update on the ESX Infrastructure but I also want to keep my virtual automated pools in view. So this isn't supported yet?
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware View can run on vSphere, but the higher functions of Linked clones do not work. this is due to the changes in vCenter

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
BonezOz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is an older answered post, but I thought I'd add in my two bits.

Somewhere within the vSphere documentation, or prior to downloading it, there needs to be something somewhere that states the View Composer is incompatible with vSphere at this time.

I found out the hard way and it wasn't until I started doing GIS that I found the issue.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

there is this on the FAQ site the clearly states View is not vSphere compatible

Will I receive new VMware vSphere 4 licenses for my VMware View products?

No, VMware View 3x is not yet compatible with VMware vSphere 4. See the Software Compatibility Matrix to learn when other VMware products can be used with VMware vSphere 4.

You can continue to access your VMware View 3x licenses in the VI3 license portal.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410