VMware Horizon Community
holografique
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

best practice for placing the master image

Im doing some performance / load testing analysis for View, and im curious to know some best-practices for placement of the master image VM. the question is asked specifically in regards to disk I/O and throughput.

My understanding is that each linked clone still reads from the master image. So if that is correct, then it seems you would want the master image to reside on a datastore that is on the same array as the rest of the datastores that house your linked-clones (and not some lower performing array). The reason I ask this is that my performance testing is based on some up-coming SSD products. Obviously the amount of space available on SSD is limited, but provides immense amounts of IO (100k+ and higher). But I want to make sure that if by placing the master image on a datastore that is not on SSD, am I thus voiding out the IO performance I want to get from the SSD array.

This leads into another question, if all linked-clones do read from the master image, what is general best-practice for the number of linked-clones to deploy per master image before you start having IO contention issues against that single master image?

thanks!

-

Omar Torres, VCP

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This really is not neccissary. The linked clones are not directly linked to the Parent image. When a pool of desktops is created and one or more datastores is used the Parent is copied to each datastore, called a replica. From there, each linked clone is attached to the replica of that parent in its local datastore. This is an unmanged replica and provides the best performance as there will be a copy in each datastore from which the linked cline .

WP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This really is not neccissary. The linked clones are not directly linked to the Parent image. When a pool of desktops is created and one or more datastores is used the Parent is copied to each datastore, called a replica. From there, each linked clone is attached to the replica of that parent in its local datastore. This is an unmanged replica and provides the best performance as there will be a copy in each datastore from which the linked cline .

WP

0 Kudos
holografique
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

exactly the answer I was looking for. I knew about the replica's, but didn't realize it was the image that the clones were linked to, as well as it being copied to each datastore that a pool resides on.

thanks for the response warren.

cheers!

---

Omar Torres, VCP

0 Kudos
holografique
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

--- edited duplicate reply ---

0 Kudos