VMware Horizon Community
flangeland
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

anybody knows the supported server OSes for view 4.5 (composer and connection broker)

the View 4.1 connection broker is not able to run on windows server 2008 and R2.

the view 4.1 composer (2.x) does not run on a server 2008 X64 or server 2008 R2 as it is only supported on x32bit OSes.(yes, know about the hacks to fixs this but it is still unsupported)

Anybody knows if the v4.5 versjons of the connection broker and composer can run om Windows server 2008 R2 or 2008?

Guessing the composer will run om X64 since Vsphere 4.1 is x64 only?

cheers,

Frode.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can tell you that Composer can run on X64 as that is the only way to install vCenter now and that the Connection brokers can be 2008 R2.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I can tell you that Composer can run on X64 as that is the only way to install vCenter now and that the Connection brokers can be 2008 R2.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ptasheq
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Anybody knows if the v4.5 versions of the connection broker and composer can run on Windows server 2008 R2 or 2008?"

You must install View Composer on the same computer as vCenter Server so x64 seems natural solution for vSphere 4.1

64-bit OS Support for View Composer (I list here only with vCenter Server 4.1):

Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise

Windows Server 2008 x64 Enterprise SP2

Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Standard SP2

Windows Server 2003 x64 Standard SP2

vCenter Server version 4.0 update 2 is as well supported but which version exactly I'm not so sure.

As for Operating System Support for View Connection Server:

Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Standard or Enterprise

Windows Server 2003 R2 32-bit Standard or Enterprise SP2

Windows Server 2003 32-bit Standard or Enterprise SP2

I obviously don't know why Windows Server 2008 is not supported and Windows Server 2008 R2 is.

But to be 100% sure please wait for the official release of the documents about View 4.5 (installation guide).

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points.
brimar5485
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you know if I can run View Composer on Vcenter server Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition ? I have read the installation guide, but I'm very surprised I can not installed on Windows 2008 R2 Standard Edition.

maybe, If just a typo error in the installation guide ?

Martin Briand

0 Kudos
banthony
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I called technical support on this and he verified that this WAS a supported configuration. There is technically no reason for software to support Enterprise and not Standard as they are the same at the core, Standard just has some technical limitations and no clustering support.

Differentiated Feature Comparison by Edition

Edition Comparison by Technical Specification

I have VMware View 4.5 installed in the following configuration with no issues.

View Connection Server 4.5 - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64)

View Composer 2.5 - Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard (x64)

0 Kudos