VMware Horizon Community
ctboyle
Contributor
Contributor

another view composer installation question

I have a quick question and I was wonder if someone could help me with an answer.

I was following along in view manager admin guide and on the page "adding the view composer service to virtual center" at item #5 the manual states to supply domain administrator credentials at the system DSN dialog box. The SQL database server is not located on the same box as our virtual center. So following the manual I enabled sql authentication in the system DSN configuration. So my question is, Why would I have to supply domain administrator credentials? Is the manual wrong? or Do I have to make the SQL login a domain account and give the same account administrative priviliges on the local server that is hosting our virtual center. I'm sure I've made the as clear as mudd :smileygrin:

When I use the local SQL login for the system DSN the install will not complete. The install runs up to "copying files" then states "rolling back actions" and finishes with can not intall but I couldn't find an error in event viewer. If I change the system DSN to use "window integrated" and use a domain admin account for testing purposes the install process runs up to "starting services" but then errors with insufficient rights.

Any help is much appreciated.

Chris

Install the View Composer Service

1 Run the View Composer service installation program, where xxx is the build number of the executable file: VMware-viewcomposer-xxx.exe

2 Accept the VMware license terms and click Next.

3 Accept or change the destination folder path and click Next.

4 In the Datasource Name field enter the name you provided in the Microsoft ODBC

Data Source Administrator wizard for your database (in the previous example, VMware Linked Clone).

5 Enter a domain administrator username and password in the fields provided and

click Next.

6 Select the Create a new RSA key container radio button. An RSA key pair is

created in order to encrypt and decrypt the Active Directory authentication

information that will be stored inside the linked clone desktop database. Click

Next.

7 Enter a port value or use the default and select the Create default SSL certificate

radio button. Click Next.

8 Click Install to begin the installation process. On the process is complete click

Finish.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my ODBC connection i wroten in the upper field a Database name "View Composer DB" and in the Username "Administrator" and in my Password Field i give in my domain PW or the Local Password i dont know ..

but i think if you take the local Admin of the SQL Database Machine, it will be work too.

Try it and plz give me a reply if it works

0 Kudos
ctboyle
Contributor
Contributor

Hey be2 thanks for the reply but, as you can see from my original post that I was already using an administrator account to test with during this step of the install.

Doing this would get me past the copying files phase but would fail at starting services.

Thanks

Chris

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hm show your services and configure the service which wouldnt start , admin rights. So you must configure it with "login as" and set it to Administrator maybe it would help

0 Kudos
ctboyle
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly when the error dialog box pops up, if I go to the services mmc and change the "logon as" from (local) to (service account), start the service and then go back and hit "retry" at the error dialog box the install finishes. This cannot be the correct way to install composer.

Thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i had the same error and i fixed it at the same way

i think youre from germany or ?

Here is a link were i posted the issues and "marco77" is from germany like me and he told me this solution so dont know of another way

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/183020?tstart=0&start=0

0 Kudos
ctboyle
Contributor
Contributor

be2k -

Thanks again for your response. I read that thread before I started mine. I am from the US (outside philly) so we are using an english version of server 2003 with the regional settings set at default.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the VMware View Manager Forum

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor

Was there a resolution to this. I am having installation issues. I used a local SQL user as db_owner and changed it to use logged in domain administrator account and I got this message.

Started an issue here but no answers yet. I already have an English region/language setup in OS.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Chris,

From your original post I see several questions/problems:

- " Why would I have to supply domain administrator credentials?"

I think this is a mistake. You must supply credentials that you are able to connect to your database. If the DSN is configured to use windows authentication keep in mind which use you can use. For more information about creating the DSN see page #105 in the admin guide.

- When you use the local SQL login for the system DSN - Did you try it directly from the ODBC Data Source? What is the result? Furthermore you define the DSN under System DSN, right?

- Regarding the "insufficient rights" issue - please see page #103 in the admin guide regarding the permissions you need for running the View Composer service. Also what are the errors for insufficient rights you are receiving?

Hope the above will help you.

Martin Marinov

VMware Software Engineer

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor

Just to clarify the main issue is I can't get it to install and the original issue is the install fails and just rolls back installation. I examine the log and it states a generic error about having a previous installation of product installed which has never been the case, I have not been able to successfully install the composer service.

I tried a few things from the other linked thread by changing the sql account to a domain account with access to database and that is when I received the 1902 error about permissions but got further than the original error. Any attempts to use the SQL account fails and really using a domain account for SQL is not really valid or desired but showed different results in my troubleshooting.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your last response leads me to more questions:

- from the machine where you are trying to install the View Composer (e.g. the machine that has VC installed) can you resolve the database machine? Or it is a local installation?

- What is the OS you trying to install at?

- Do you have DHCP Client service enabled?

Martin Marinov

VMware Software Engineer

Martin Marinov VMware Software Engineer If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
be2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

did you tried to set the View Composer Service to login as "Administrator" ?

0 Kudos
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 2003 SP2, SQL 2000 Enterprise (different server) . Only thing installed on this server are the VI components (Virtual Center, Converter, and Update Manager ) and both the VC database and Update Mgr database is being accessed on the same SQL server without issue.

I tried the domain administrator account as well as the id created for this purpose with no change. I tried removing .Net Frameworks and only using .Net 3.0 SP1 . No change. Are there any special requirements to use a database on SQL 2000 with a SQL account instead of Windows account on a remote SQL server?

The SQL account is set to db_owner role. I did everything in the Admin guide but no luck. There is something it is detecting and the only thing that has been put on this server is Virtual Center updates over time. It is currently VC 2.5 update 3.

I just thought it was weird that when I was troubleshooting it got past the initial "previous installation error" when I changed the SQL account to Windows using the account i was logged in as domain administrator. Which I already knew that error was bogus as it has never been installed before.

0 Kudos
mmarinov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The only two issues I can think of are: the DSN that is set to the VIew Composer to be used must be in SYSTEM DSN tab. If this in the USER DSN tab the installer will not work. Another think that I didn't understand is: When you open the Data Sources (ODBC) from the Administrative tools to create the SYSTEM DSN are you able to have successful connection to the database - by Configure on specific DSN, click Finish, Click Test Data Source...?

Martin Marinov

VMware Software Engineer

0 Kudos
rsgqjj
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it is a System DSN and all TESTS were SUCCESSFULL when I completed the DSN setup.

0 Kudos