VMware Horizon Community
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

adding quickprep error "Bad Domain name" when VC is not part of the Domain and using host files

VC 2.5, ESX 3.5u4 Vmware View 4.01

ESX servers are in the same network (198.x.x.x) as the VC.

Guest are in network 10.x.x.x

VC is not part of the domain, VC is using Hosts files

I can ping from domain to VC using IP as well as FQDN or computer name and I can do the same from VC to Domain.

Composer verifies as connected when "enable View composer is selected"

I am able to create non-linked clones.

When trying to add Quickprep Domain, I use the following:

san.local

san.local\administrator

Pasword

It returns: "Bad Domain name"

When I check events "VCBean error"

Host file entry on DC and View Server:

192.168.0.198 win2k3er10 #virtual center Server

Host File entry on Virtual Center:

10.0.0.211 connectionview.san.local #View Server

10.0.0.1 dc1.san.local #Domain Controller

Partial Log

-

2010-04-14 14:06:04,046 | 3 | FATAL | Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl - Error: fail to execute web service call: AddAdConfig

VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.SimAdConnectionException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted. ---> System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.

at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.GetAdDomainController(AdConfigEntryDo adConfigDo)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.b__1(Exception ex, Int32 numOfRetries)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.RunWithRetry(AdOperationDelegate operation, ExceptionHandlingDelegate exHandling)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.ValidateAdConnection(AdConfigEntryDo adConfigDo, String containerDn)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiVal.AddAdConfig(AdConfigEntry adConfigEntry)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl.AddAdConfig(AdConfigEntry adConfigEntry), Machine Name: WIN2K3ER10, Timestamp: 4/14/2010 6:06:04 PM, App Domain Name: SviWebService.exe, Thread Identity: , Windows Identity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2, detail information: san.local, Configuration ID: , UserName: san.local\administrator

I have spent plenty of time on this and I can not come up with a solution

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

You need to add another hosts-entry, something like this:

10.0.0.1 san.local

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that a couple days ago and no luck, I just tried it again with the same result.

0 Kudos
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have to ask - why arent you putting everthing in a Domain and using DNS , do you only have 1 domain controller ? i assume that you have tried testing the name resolution from the VDI using both name and FQDN

0 Kudos
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

It is a test environment, mamaged by a VC that it is in a production environment.

As I mentioned before, I have been able to deploy non-linked desktops.

Yes, I have tried all the possible ways to comunicate from the VDI and it checks OK.

0 Kudos
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok i can understand why your VC is not in the domain and it that should not be an issue, but why not use DNS ? but you could try diffrent synatax - assuming the actual domain name is SAN you should try the either san\administrator or administrator@san.local.

0 Kudos
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

I tried your suggestions with different loggins yielding the same results..

| FATAL | Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl - Error: fail to execute web service call: AddAdConfig

VMware.Sim.CommonLib.Exception.SimAdConnectionException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted. ---> System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.

at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.GetAdDomainController(AdConfigEntryDo adConfigDo)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.b__1(Exception ex, Int32 numOfRetries)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.RunWithRetry(AdOperationDelegate operation, ExceptionHandlingDelegate exHandling)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.ActiveDirectory.AdUtil.ValidateAdConnection(AdConfigEntryDo adConfigDo, String containerDn)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiVal.AddAdConfig(AdConfigEntry adConfigEntry)

at VMware.Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl.AddAdConfig(AdConfigEntry adConfigEntry), Machine Name: WIN2K3ER10, Timestamp: 4/14/2010 10:09:03 PM, App Domain Name: SviWebService.exe, Thread Identity: , Windows Identity: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM, OS Version: Microsoft Windows NT 5.2.3790 Service Pack 2, detail information: san.local, Configuration ID: , UserName: san.local\administrator

0 Kudos
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstalled composer, also tested the ports for listening, I keep getting the same error.

is this an authentication error or comunication error?

| FATAL | Sim.ServiceCore.SimServiceApiImpl - Error: fail to execute web service call: AddAdConfig

Thank you

0 Kudos
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

we can investigate your access to the DC a bit more try using nltest to test with /dsgetdc as the switch, if you dont have it download the resource kit and get it from there. is your DNS on the DC if it is why dont you use DNS ?

0 Kudos
2myhttp
Contributor
Contributor

VC 2.5, ESX 3.5u4 Vmware View 4.01

ESX servers and VC are inthe same network 198.168.0.x and are physical machines

View Composer is installed on the VC physical machine and part of 192.168.0.x network

DNS, DHCP, Router , Vyatta Router, VMware View are VM guests and are in network 10.0.0.x

VC is not part of the domain, VC is using Hosts files

I can ping from domain to VC using IP as well as FQDN or computer name

and I can do the same from VC to Domain.

Composer verifies as connected when "enable View composer is selected"

I am able to create non-linked clones.

When trying to add Quickprep Domain, I use the following:

san.local

san.local\administrator

Pasword

When creating linked clones and trying to add Quickprep it errors out: "Bad Domain name"

It was evident that my problems were DNS based if you read logs, my solution is not elegant but it works for those who have the VC in a different network and not a member of any domain but using host files.

Solution: I decided to make ny VC physical server a member of the domain without changing my IP, I joined the domain using my VM DNS server, and asked to reboot as expected.

After the reboot I was "not" able to sign on the Domain, because the Domain VM was in another network and not able to access it during the login procedure.

so, I instead logged in using my Local Computer account.

I tried again using my View Server to add Quickprep and this time I was sucessful.

I noticed that the Active Directory services added Computer account for my VC server and the DNS server added an "A" record for the Network only as follow:

Name: (same as Parent Folder)

Type: host (A)

Data: 192.168.0.0

So, my VC is not logged into the domain but my DNS resolution issues has been resolved, I am now able to deploy Non -persistent Linked Clones with ease.

If someone can explain what really happend, please go ahead,I want to fully understand it.

Thank you Smiley Wink

0 Kudos