VMware Horizon Community
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Zero client vs thin vs none

Question.

Just was brought into a project that had hardware ordered and the person responsible for all of it left the company.

Hardware:

In house – 4 Dell Flx 990 PCs (no disk drives) /monitor/ keyboard,/mouse, Dell Switch, and UPS.

Delayed – Dell MDi San, 2 Dell PE 710s.

This is for a small lab of about 5-10 users.

something called dell VDI Zero Client solution with  Citrix –On Demand Desktop streaming was selected.

With such a small lab, I would have opted to by internal drives for the PCs and use vSphere Client and RDP.  Have the developers use RDP from the PCs .  Then later, possibly implement a VDI.

With the delay of the SAN and Servers, the developers (currently 3), wanted to start coding.

I informed them we can get hard drives installed and their preferred OS. Then, once the SAN and Servers arrive, the PCs can be converted to VMs and moved to the ESXi / SAN.  Another option would be Workstaion8, but I don’t think we do not enough RAM in the PCs (2 GB).

Ideas / Comments

Thanks

Software - vSphere 5 Enterprise and

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

So is this http://www.citrix.com/English/partners/partnerFeature.asp?partnerID=950198&featureID=1689282 what you have?   I'm not sure you will get a lot of information on that from this forum since it's a Citrix VDI solution.

Your temporary plan sounds good but I'm not sure how you would convert them over to Citrix provisioning server. 

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think so,

The order from Dell has listed :

DT Subscription Advantage Citrix 3-Year On-Demand Desktop Streaming Subscription Advantage, x32, English, Flexible Computing DT Streaming Guide, DT Streaming License

Attached is a doc I found on-line...and a link below that shows the dt streaming guide

I would rather go with PCs, and use RDP or vSPhere Client for 5-10 users,,

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=mlb1552&c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&model_id=optipl...

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

For a small deployment with dedicated desktops you could utilize a PC and RDP.      Connection brokers offer a lot of benefits so it's really about what you are looking for.  I don't think having people work from the vSphere client would last very long before they became frustrated.   

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RDP for the developers..

vSphere Client for me or the other mgr..

Have you heard of this Dell Solution?

I assume it may have been selected instead of VMware View or even a WYSE Solution..

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I haven't heard of the paticular Dell package but I do know what Citrix provisioning server is.  

0 Kudos
stanj
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok,

I am not sure that the Dell Citrix Streaming solution can be used with vSphere 5.

I will need to contact Dell or find someone using this solution.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos