VMware Horizon Community
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Zero Clients and View 5

Just wondering if anyone is successfully using View 5 with their Zero Clients and if so, what model zero clients are you using?

I'm running the latest Teradici firmware, however my 10Zig v9000's do not appear on the VMware Compability list. This is rather annoying because I was planning on upgrading to view 5 asap.

Now I'll have to wait Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mike, it looks like the 10zigs and the VP200's are the same unit, just a different badge....brand.

They will work perfect with View 5, no issues at all. Just make sure you use the latest firmware.

We were so excited when we received the APEX 2800 cards. But I must be honest so far they..mmmm are working o.k.

They will provide virtual machine consolidation on the host but you need to factor in the costs.

I have been getting around 20-25% reduction in CPU usage overall with using the off load cards.

I must mention the ESXi 5.0 driver was released just two weeks ago and I believe some image caching features are not available on this release.

At this stage its way too early to make any real judgment but I will keep you posted.

cheers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mike, we are currently running two classrooms (36 units in each) with the Leadtek VP200P Zero clients with View 5 and now we are just started testing the Teradici APEX 2800 offload card with them.

Zero Client details: http://pcoip.leadtek.com/vp200p.html

We have been using the Leadtek units for about a year now and we are extremly impressed with the quality and price.

The new firmware is a must, currently running release 3.5.

We will be moving more of our classrooms over to the Zero clients as we replace the older computers through our college.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear about your experience with the VP200. That is also currently not VMware "certified" for View 5., but glad it works. I assume my 10zigs will also work.

I will be checking out the Apex 2800 though. How's that working out for you? Do you feel its necessary?

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Samsung NS and NC220 work well and Wyse P20 all good from compatability point.

Paul

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Actually neither the Samsung or Wyse p20 make the compatibility guide for View 5. Now, I'm sure they all work and I'm sure my 10 Zig one does too. The issue is getting the green light to upgrade to View 5 even though these "officially" arent supported.

Now teradici does claim that any Zero client that was on View 4.5 compatibility list, will work with View 5. I just wish VMware would update the guide to make it official

0 Kudos
DavidPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Mike, it looks like the 10zigs and the VP200's are the same unit, just a different badge....brand.

They will work perfect with View 5, no issues at all. Just make sure you use the latest firmware.

We were so excited when we received the APEX 2800 cards. But I must be honest so far they..mmmm are working o.k.

They will provide virtual machine consolidation on the host but you need to factor in the costs.

I have been getting around 20-25% reduction in CPU usage overall with using the off load cards.

I must mention the ESXi 5.0 driver was released just two weeks ago and I believe some image caching features are not available on this release.

At this stage its way too early to make any real judgment but I will keep you posted.

cheers.

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Splitting hairs I know but I never said they were on the compatability Guide just said they worked from a compatability point of view. I have deployed both in View 5 environments if we wat for them to be validated and put on the list we will be deploying view 6 🙂

regards

Paul

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I use a Wyse P20 everyday with View 5 and it works great. 

VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I took your comment the wrong way. This is exactly why I started this thread though. It was my belief that all these zero clients would work. Management wants me to hold off on the upgrade because they are not "official"...I, on the other hand would like to complete this now. Why put it off any longer Smiley Happy

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Kudos
VMMikeC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Tim.

The Wyse P20 is the one I always wanted to buy.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

0 Kudos
zlammam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Mike,

Just a clarification on the View 5 compatibility with zero clients.

As a few folks have mentioned already, the PCoIP zero clients will work fine with View 5 (I am using one right now!)

If you look up both the Wyse P20 and 10Zig v9000 (and any other PCoIP zero client) on the Compatibility Guide using View 4.5/4.6, you will find that View 5.0 is included in the "Supported Releases" list with the existing firmware that you have on the zero client. So technically, the zero client you are using is supported and compatibable with View 5.0 (refer to the last column in the results when you submit the form).  The "certification" under View 5.0 will be coming soon in the next firmware release which will be a simple update to the zero client.

Hoping this clears up some of the confusion.

We also have a knowledge base item #15132-809 available at techsupport.teradici.com that provides more details.

Ziad (from Teradici)

0 Kudos