we have zebra and symbol USB scanners that are used to scan medicine in our hospital from both dell and igel thin clients. Our issue is that when a thin client is rebooted with the USB scanner attached it will not work after you establish a connection to your Horizon instance until you unplug the USB scanner and plug it back in. We have tried the following items.
- Zebra offered the two below links which I applied to our test Horizon pool.
- Powering off the thin client and powering it back on lead to the scanner not automatically being picked up. It does seem to pick up 10-15 minutes later. I would hear two beeps and the scanner would then start to function.
- Going from external power supply to internal laptop battery power will cause the scanner to disconnect and similar to above it will reconnect 10-15 minutes later
- I did some research online and tinkered with a few different settings in Horizon on the test pool which did not come up with positive results and I reached a dead end. I contacted VMware support who advised to test the scenario outside of the thin client environment.
- I tested on my laptop with the same parameters above and was unable to recreate the scenario. NOTE – that it’s not exactly the same test as the thin client laptop has an external battery whereas my laptop is connected with AC power.
- With those results I additionally tested with a Citrix based thin client laptop and I was able to reproduce the same scenarios above with the Horizon environment and Citrix.
- After that VMware support advised to contact Dell.
Scenarios that did not work:
- We have tested plugging the scanner directly into the laptop using ports on both sides of the laptop
- We have tested using a powered tripp-lite usb hub that connects to a usb port and has external power using USB ports on both sides of the laptop
- We have tested using a powered Tobu usb hub that connects to the usb C port
- We have tried a 90w adapter that is a usb c power model. Tested USB ports on both sides of the laptop
- We have tried both Citrix and IGEL OS with multiple USB ports tested
Scenarios that did work:
- Using my own dell precision 3550 laptop, installing the horizon agent and testing multiple usb ports on the laptop. I switched from AC power, battery power and hooked in through a dock.
- Testing on a 5470 AIO on multiple usb ports
Zebra scanner model – DS8178 with the latest firmware available.
At this point we are at a loss and have reached out to Dell, Zebra, Symbol, and VMWare. We have even tried higher powered power supplies in case it was a lack of power.
Any help or ideas is appreciated.
horizon environment = 7.13, DEM, App Volumes, FSLogix