VMware Horizon Community
AndyGK
Contributor
Contributor

Your VIEW SAN setup for replica Images. EMC and FAST cache?

Good Afternoon,

Do any of you use EMC's Fully Automated Storage Tiering (FAST) for your storage LUNS that hold your linked-clone replica images?  If you do, I'm curious how well it works for you.  (Or any other company's equivalent, if you use something else.)

We are currently using just Electronic Flash Disks for our replica's, but it's getting pricy, as we find ourselves needing more and more replicas for seperate View Pools.  So I was thinking of giving FAST cache a try, but I was curious if anyone else has already.

For those unaware: FAST cache is a concept where disks of different speeds are put together in a LUN, and the controller intelligently places the data that is read more often on the faster disks. (As an example, you might have 2 200GB EFDs, 2 300GB SAS 15k, and a 2TB 15K SAS drive all lumped together.)   I'm not sure what other companies call this--they could call it the same.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mickelonis
Contributor
Contributor

We are currently set up with FAST cache for our Replica lun. Personally, I think it works fine "IF" you're ok with slow recomposes. EMC is now suggesting that we have static EFD's for our replica lun.

Why do you have so many pools? Can you harness ThinApp to lower your pool count?

0 Kudos