VMware Horizon Community
kwacky1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

XP, QuickPrep, Default User, "My Pictures.lnk"

Consider the following scenario, all your users have folder redirection applied to Desktop, My Documents and My Pictures. Working beautifully for time eternal... however.

There's an old problem with Windows XP SP3, where under some circumstances, the first time you log on to a workstation Folder Redirection bombs out and logs the following error in eventvwr.

Failed to perform redirection of folder My Pictures. The folder is configured to be redirected from <C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Pictures> to <\\<users redirect path>\My Documents\My Pictures>. The following error occurred:
The directory name is invalid.

When you have a look at the user's My Documents folder you will find "My Pictures.lnk" in their My Documents folder.

The second time that user logs on to that workstation the My Pictures.lnk gets deleted and Folder Redirection works as expected.

Ok, if you've made it this far here's the problem.

In a Non-Persistant Pool every time the user logs on is the first time so this problem never goes away.

Right, so here's what I've figured out and where i need your help.

In the Parent VM, I logged on with a standard user account and the My Pictures.lnk was created in the user profile.

I revereted the snapshot on the Parent VM and logged in with an admin account, and after a few different tests found the following.

If you a) create a My Pictures folder under the Default User's My Documents folder, the My Pictures.lnk does not get created.

If you b) delete the My Documents folder from the Default User profile, the My Pictures.lnk does not get created.

Now for the twist.

I created a new snapshot for the Parent VM with either a) the My Pictures folder pre-created under the Default User or b) the My Documents folder removed and recomposed my Non-Persistant pool with the new snapshot.

When the user logs on to the NP desktop, the My Pictures.lnk is created.

So, the only difference between logging on to the Parent VM locally and via View that I can determine is QuickPrep.

From what I understand, changes to the Default User profile are honoured by QuickPrep or is there something I've totally overlooked here.

Does View do some fancy footwork with the user's profile and is there something I can do with a QuickPrep script to trick folder redirection into working?

All thoughts welcome.

0 Kudos
0 Replies