VMware Horizon Community
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

XP Licenses

We currently don't have SA (Software Assurance)so I've been told by my rep I need to purchase fully packaged product (FPP) licenses for Windows XP (Basically, Vista Business Retail Box for $282) anyone doing anything different that doesn't have SA?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

See this ...

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=98145

In short yes ... either that or you can alternatively look into the new VECD (Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop) which will give you the correct licensing schema for VDI as well as the rights to use XP instead of Vista.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, if I was a SA customers that's what I'd be buying. It's just killing my cost figures purchasing a XP license for $282 a pop.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

why don't you investigate the cost for an SA agreement. chance are it would end up cheaper

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Why are you so sure that the VECD license won't cost you more ? Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In my case the SA w/VECD would cost alot more. I'm only doing testing at this point, but if we went with say 100 + VDI user it would be a option.

0 Kudos
KoolCamel
Contributor
Contributor

The VECD option is a "monthly" subscription based on your SA. Microsoft charges differntly based on what type of connection device you will be using. Old PC's will be cheaper (their OS will be covered under your SA), while Thinclients will cost more (their OS is not covered under your SA). You will have to get with your M$ rep to get exact prices, but it is not cheap and has pretty much wiped out any savings we had calculated we might get from going the VDI route.

0 Kudos