VMware Horizon Community
DavidRiberdy
Contributor
Contributor

XP Deployment

We are going to be using either a persistent or non-persistent pools to generate XP machines for our environment. I have used the XP Deployment guide as a reference, but not sure on the scripting that has to take place in the background when the machines are generated. Is there a good reference point for joining domains, etc. during the spawning process?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

the key for proper deployment of VM's using VDM and VC 2.5 is to ensure your template is not syspreped, all your syprep files are in the correct folders on your VCMS. Also, create a customization specification within VC to have VDM deploy from. Finally, you need to have a DHCP segment available so that your VM's can properly join the domain.

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure I can provide any references but our desktop people use a script that utilizes netdom to join the domain after the machine has been built. We simply edited our customization spec to auto login once after deployment and to run this script upon login. Hope it helps.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc776879.aspx

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'd like to add a little bit more: To join the domain while provisioning/customization desktops, using the VM customization and specification wizard should do it as it give you the option on to join a domain or not you can provide the credential on that wizard

side note: XP Deployment guide dose indicate the you should be using LSIlogic, however I think this is an old recommendation in the mean while I highly recommend that you use Buslogic instead, as I recall there is some issues when the VM's using LSIlogic that runs under HA.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

side note: XP Deployment guide dose indicate the you should be using LSIlogic, however I think this is an old recommendation in the mean while I highly recommend that you use Buslogic instead, as I recall there is some issues when the VM's using LSIlogic that runs under HA.

Can you provide any additonal detail on the issues with HA and VM's using LSIlogic? I think LSI is the default adapter used when creating new VM's and from what I have read it has always been the one recommended for best performance.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My apology it was DRS not HA, and i saw the error when it tries to Vmotion the VM's

I think LSI was the default a while ago; but not with ESX 3.x the dfault for WinXp is Buslogic,Vmware provide the drivers for buslogic, however also i apologize i need to repoduce it to provied the screenshot of the error, as it was not able to vmotion the VM bacause of the LSI driver.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

My apology it was DRS not HA, and i saw the error when it tries to Vmotion the VM's

I think LSI was the default a while ago; but not with ESX 3.x the dfault for WinXp is Buslogic,Vmware provide the drivers for buslogic, however also i apologize i need to repoduce it to provied the screenshot of the error, as it was not able to vmotion the VM bacause of the LSI driver.

Your statements directly contradict the VDM deployment guides for XP. We have 2800 XP vPC's using LSI and have never run into any problems with VMotion in a DRS enviornment.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vdi-xp-guide.pdf

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Just a FYI but when I went through the process of adding a new VM I selected Windows XP (32 bit) as the OS it still defaulted to the LSI adapter.

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you very much for th quick replies, i might be wrong, the default please see the following Video i captured from the VIC on ESX 3.x, i'm working now on the LSI Vmotion issue (hope i'll be wong, but i've seen it at least once) my be the LSI driver version that used at that time was no good.

i'm currently reproducing this issue.

thank you very much for your time.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, I stand corrected. Not sure what happened the other night when I tested but I swear it was defaulted to LSI...... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Virtual_Whale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PLEASE ignore my Previouse side notes regarding DRS and VMotion as i was not able to reproduce it agian, most likly the issue is related to a wrong LSI driver. Sorry guys

0 Kudos