VMware Horizon Community
uns33n
Contributor
Contributor

XP 5 minutes+ to logoff (Agent 5.1.2)

This one is certainly confusing me!...  We're currently running View 5.01 and things have been running quite well with the 5.0.1 agent.  Time has moved on, improvements and tweaks to the gold image for performance and finally a push away from RDP (had to be used due to legacy issues) meant making sure all the functions worked with PCoIP including accessing locally attached printers.  This is where we're hitting a wierd problem, any agent after 5.0.1 seems to extend the logoff time from 1min 40 to 5minutes or more (recorded 10 once!).

First thoughts were slow networking causing persona sync issues but monitoring the server holding the persona data while logging off showed that not to be the case.  Versions 5.1.0 & 5.1.1 were consistantly around the 1min 40 to logoff which made me think there was a timeout being triggered (unfortunately we couldn't stay with those agents due to the issue with the default printer not showing correctly or at all).  Moved on to 5.1.2 and then the ridiculous 5+minutes started showing up.  Some more digging around is starting to point the finger at Thinprint being to blame as just before windows finishes logging and returns to login prompt the log shows nothing for the previous 5+minutes then thinprint deleting the detected printers.

Eventually we will be aiming to use location based printing or AD assigned printers but as our userbase is a little diverse at the moment and we honestly don't know what they have at each end point Thinprint redirection seems to be our only option.

It's a real pain this one, I've been looking at it every which way and just can't see anything obvious.  Not helped with thinprint not providing any logs (that I've found) and nothing in the event viewer for it shows anything bad.  As a trial I reverted the image I'm testing with to 5.0.1, log offs great printing works fine but the killer was all of a sudden vmware tools is now out of date???  Could there be a service/driver hanging thats taking 300 seconds to timeout?

Thanks!

(Edited subject to relate to version of agent)

Message was edited by: uns33n

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ericblc2
Contributor
Contributor

We hit the same problem when we upgraded the view agent from 5.1.1  to 5.1.2 in our W7 image.

After weeks of eliminiting changes one by one we figured out it was 5.1.2. We rolled back to 5.1.1 and our logoff times are back to normal (30sec to 1min).

we did not investigate more.

0 Kudos
uns33n
Contributor
Contributor

ericblc2 wrote:

We hit the same problem when we upgraded the view agent from 5.1.1  to 5.1.2 in our W7 image.

After weeks of eliminiting changes one by one we figured out it was 5.1.2. We rolled back to 5.1.1 and our logoff times are back to normal (30sec to 1min).

we did not investigate more.

Thanks, we've already tried the same, unfortunately Thinprint from the Local default printer appears to be broken in 5.1.1 and thats a function we need to work at the moment due to our current setup.  Although we may look at the full Thinprint solution now to eliminate this from the problem.

At least one thing you mention of logoff times of 30secs > 1min seems identical to our testing, although admittedly at first I thought with times like that something was wrong!  Least I know I'm not the only one seeing logoffs like that.

0 Kudos