VMware Horizon Community
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

X-Forwarded-For header

For tracing purpose the X-Forwarded-For header setting is enabled on the F5 load balancer. When checking the Connection Server logs files only the IP address of the load balancer is visible. Are there any additional configuration changes needed for making the IP addresses of the connected clients visible in the log files?

10 Replies
btkrausen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good question. I know that enabling X_Forwarded_For requires us to modify IIS logs but I'm not sure about View.

I have a support case opened for another load balancing issue, I'll try to ask when they call Smiley Happy

vExpert 2014 & 2015, VCAP-DCA, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, VCP4, VCP3, CCNA, MCSA, MCTS, MCDST, A+, Net+, Sec+
0 Kudos
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

I have a plan for deploy load blancer for our View Servers. Does it affect my plan?

Note: I'm using View 5.2 and I'll upgrade to 5.3.

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

arjanhs wrote:

For tracing purpose the X-Forwarded-For header setting is enabled on the F5 load balancer.

View doesn't log the X-Forwarded-For header so it's not necessary to enable this on a load balancer. Some load balancers may log the source IP address.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

DavoudTeimouri wrote:

I have a plan for deploy load blancer for our View Servers. Does it affect my plan?

No. Load balancing in View works fine without the X-Forwarded-For header. Just follow the load balancer guide for setting load balancing up to work with View.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Within the documentation from the F5 load balancer, a configuration change is suggested within the View servers to get the information within the logging. The suggestion is placed on page 23 of http://www.f5.com/pdf/deployment-guides/vmware-view5-iapp-dg.pdf

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

View doesn't log the X-Forwarded-For header so it's not necessary to enable this on a load balancer. The VMware documentation for View makes no mention of logging the X-Forwarded-For header.

Mark

arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I couldn't find it either, but why does F5 mentioned it? Will see if i can find it.

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have advised F5. The X-Forwarded-For header forwarded is used in Horizon Workspace not Horizon View.

0 Kudos
arjanhs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick answer, you have better contacts within F5 the i have 🙂

But the main question is still there, how do I log the IP addresses of the connected Clients instead of the IP address of the F5 load balancer?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

markbenson

Has there been any progress made on this? We are facing the same issue with Horizon 7 and need a way to see the client IP.

0 Kudos