VMware Horizon Community
ark9898
Contributor
Contributor

Wyse alternatives using VDM 2.1

Currently I have deployed approximately 100 vm's using a combination of s10's and v10's. We choose the v10's as our primary terminals due to wyse multimedia capabilities. Lately, we have run into a few setbacks due to RDP limitations and video playback. Several departments would love to have this feature. Can anyone suggest other thin clients to use. All our wyse terminals are linux based as it offers easy management but I am looking for alternatives to wyse. I have tried HP's and I am not a fan. I am anxiously awaiting Dell's new model which should be out later this month but I am also looking at possibly trying igel. Again, multimedia redirection and usb support is a must for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we have found the price of wyse terminals to be comparable to the traditional pc.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Can you explain your situation a bit more. Are you saying that the v10Ls are not working and you want something different? Whats not working? Are you using the TCX extensions.

If you are after a new terminal start with whats on the HCL if you are using VDM. You mention igel, I believe they will have support for VDM soon but not multimedia (but I don't speak for them).

Are you after an xpe or are you wanting to stay with a linux based device?

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Wyse offers a great Multi-Media piece, that is even part of the VMware Tools custom install. All you need is the license. We tested the piece and it worked flawlessly.

If possible contact Wyse, they should give you a trial.

http://www.wyse.com.au/products/software/tcx/Wyse_TCX_Multimedia.pdf

0 Kudos
ark9898
Contributor
Contributor

I have found wyse linux based devices namely the v10 and s10 to be very easy to imagine. I am looking for another option besides wyse as management does not like the total cost of a wyse as they feel it can be more than a standard desktop. Currently when we order we are ordering both licenses, tcx and usb redirection. I feel wyse has a very good product but I was just wondering if anyone has experience with any other products. I am open to trying both linux and xpe devices.

0 Kudos