VMware Horizon Community
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wyse WTOS & View 4

I'd like to know what version of Wyse WTOS will be required to support a connection to View 4.

I had an idication from a Wyse tech that 6.5 (which is in beta) would be needed. The tech also said they didn't expect WTOS 6.5 to be released until the end of the year (raise red flag here), but they couldn't be sure about that.

Thanks, Joe

0 Kudos
25 Replies
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, WYSE is kind of dragging their feet in regards to their WTOS products, which they seem to push hard for use with VMWare View. You would think they would at least announce that they will support PCoIP in the V10L or their other WTOS products. I have been asking my WYSE reps and they say they don't even know for sure if PCoIP will be supported with the V10L. I was told they would know more in the next few weeks, as they have their internal tech summit. I really hope the V10L will have PCoIP or I will be switching from WYSE to another Thin Client.

joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to the link above WYSE will support PCoIP on all Thin Clients, just don't know when that will happen.

0 Kudos
regnak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I've seen a V10L to a View 4 XP fine using RDP, so at least that works. Wyse only have their P20 to support PCoIP currently and that's barely out the door (Not in EU currently). Your best bet is a XPe thin client and install the full View 4 client. The Thin OS will get compatibility but probably not this year from what I've heard. The Linux client is with OEMs only right now and HP denied even hearing about it when I asked them!

Mike

joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
OUScotty
Contributor
Contributor

In speaking with the WYSE Engineers they are pessimistic on whether or not their V10L's will support PCoIP because of the hardware on the thin client which would be unfortunate. It's the model we are wanting to use for our View4 deployment.

0 Kudos
jcw248
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great I just bought 10 V10Ls after I talking to one of my Reps who that the v10l would have the PCOIP support in a firmware upgrade.

0 Kudos
OUScotty
Contributor
Contributor

My sales rep for the Oklahoma Texas region told me the same thing, but then later in a conference call last week one of Wyse's engineers told me that they are doubtful they will be able to upgrade the firmware.

I honestly seem to think that's BS. The V10L is their bread and butter product, I'd find it very hard to believe it won't run PCoIP when other companies like 10zig will have day 1 support of View with their ThinOS's

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This quote is on Wyse's press release for View 4,

"Wyse to Deliver Day One Support for New VMware Enterprise Desktop Virtualization Solution"

also

"Wyse is announcing support for the PCoIP protocol in existing thin client devices, new devices, and a new zero client"

If you look at the VMware compatability guide it states that the V10L is supported with relase 6.5 WTOS. As of 11/24 the latest WTOS version on the Wyse site is 6.4.

What do "Day One" mean?? (Cowboy fans will get this!)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

All,

We are working closely with all our existing and new thin client partners specific to integration with View and PCoIP. All thin client partners have been participating in the thin client program using both the View Client for Windows and Linux. All of our thin client partners who have clients based on Linux are working on integration and testing now.

In addition, we are working closely with existing and new partners who offer PCoIP zero clients. These partners are preparing for an updated firmware release from Teradici for portals and integrated displays that are interoperable with View and the software implementation of PCoIP.

We are working closely with WYSE to come up with the best solution for all of our joint cusotmers. Both companies are committed having WTOS support with PCoIP. As mentioned, currently there is still support for WTOS with RDP and WYSE is also offering a PCoIP zero client as well.

We want to provide the most unified client features that we can. This requires a lot of work to get feature parity as close as we can across clients. Becasue we currently support a rich set of features such as true multimonitor, multimedia etc. and we have plans for even more rich interactive services around the corner. We try to balance the client hardware requirements needed to maintain a rich user experiance and to support future capabilities. We keep in mind our partners hardware roadmap's and support lifecycle as well.

For some cusotmers basic connectivity might be good enough. Meaning support for older clients with less features is ok as you just want the basics. If this is you. Feel free to send me a PM so I we can collect your requirements as that is vital in helping us understand what is important to you.

Thanks,

Warren

0 Kudos
acerbisvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok for the S10 (due to hardware) but the question is:

will V10L have PCoIP and View4 possibilities and to what extent (usb... speed...)?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We cannot say 100% for certain until we have a better idea and are further along.

WP

0 Kudos
Pommes1
Contributor
Contributor

I know you cannot speak for your partners, but the Wyse press release was VERY(!!!) specific.

If Wyse is NOT implementing PCoIP in their V10L line in the NEAR (~ 6 months from the press release date) future they are just a bunch of li?rs...

0 Kudos
Jmays
Contributor
Contributor

<Bump>

Any word on Wyse PCoIP support on the V10?

0 Kudos
SWCS833
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I haven't heard anything about WTOS and PCoIP specifically from my WYSE contacts, but I do know there is going to be at least one, if not more, new WTOS devices coming out very soon. I know that the current C class will get WTOS and I am thinking when they do that, PCoIP will be part of WTOS but I am not sure if it will run on the V10L. The C class has a new 1 GHZ process along with a seperate GPU so it is primed for PCoIP. I just hope they can get it to work on the V10L.

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got one of the Wyse P20's several weeks ago. I was testing it with the shipped firmware and it wasn't working well, so I put it on the shelf for a few weeks. I started working with it again 3 or 4 days ago and found that Wyse had released version 3 of the P20 firmware. I updated the firmware and now it connects through View 4 using PCoIP or RDP without any issues. I also downloaded from Wyse the PCoIPMC (management console), it's a VM that can run on ESX or the VM Player. You access it using a Mozilla browser and you can manage all of your PCoIP devices, including setting policies, updating firmware, resetting, etc, etc.

At this point I'm pretty pleased with the P20 and the PCoIPMC.

Things just keep gettin' better!!

0 Kudos
Pommes1
Contributor
Contributor

No.

I checked with Wyse this week. They still have no answer, or do not want to tell the bad news...

<quote>

Unfortunately we do not have an ETA on when this would be available here

in technical support. You may want to check with sales to see if they

have an eta or more information on when this may be supported. You can

reach sales at 800-800-9973 option 1.

</quote>

Yeah, SALES knows for sure... Smiley Happy I don't think they will support PCoIP with the V10L ever - regardless what Wyse has promised in the past.

A pragmatic approach would be to try and get a good deal on new devices, or compensation or just switch the vendor.

0 Kudos
DeaconZ
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got one of the Wyse P20's several weeks ago. I was testing it with

the shipped firmware and it wasn't working well, so I put it on the

shelf for a few weeks. I started working with it again 3 or 4 days ago

and found that Wyse had released version 3 of the P20 firmware. I

updated the firmware and now it connects through View 4 using PCoIP or

RDP without any issues. I also downloaded from Wyse the PCoIPMC

(management console), it's a VM that can run on ESX or the VM Player.

You access it using a Mozilla browser and you can manage all of your

PCoIP devices, including setting policies, updating firmware, resetting,

etc, etc.

At this point I'm pretty pleased with the P20 and the PCoIPMC.

Things just keep gettin' better!!

Joe, I can't get my PCoIPMC to push the settings to the P20's. Is there some trick?

0 Kudos
joegarrett
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Couple of questions,

1. Can you see your P20's in the Devices tab?

2. Have you created Group(s)?

3. Have you created Profile(s)?

4. Have you added P20(s) to Group(s)?

If the answer is yes to the above you should see on your Groups tab the group name and how many devices are attached to that group. The group should also list what Profile is attached to the group.

I've attached a couple of screen shots for your review.

0 Kudos