VMware Horizon Community
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Wyse V-Class Dual Video models

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to see the new Wyse V-Class dual monitor models first hand yet, and if there is any feedback that can be shared on experience yet?

http://www.wyse.com/products/hardware/thinclients/dualvideo/index.asp

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have been testing with these for a couple of months (VL50) and the results have been comparable to the e140 offering (although there have been some struggles). The Dual screen allows for spanning through rDesktop and we are still working with them on the multi screen awareness capability (knows about the muliple screens and not just spanning across screens).

At this stage it is all working but is still in pre-release state and we are only just starting to let them out into the wild with the users. Based on this we will be able to give some real user feedback in the next couple of weeks instead of techie eval feedback.

Apart from that they are identical in form factor to the current V family with the exception of a DVI video outlet. This supports splitting VGA/VGA, DVI/DVI or DVI/VGA which is more flexible then the competitors.

I can also say that we have it integrated into our Broker infrastructure which extends there broker aware family for those familiar with the S10 offerings.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

do you know if this is true multi-monitor support or spanning?

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That's one of the many things I'm curious on as well. I'd imagine that it is just spanning like all other models/vendors currently on the market. However, maybe they came up with something new?

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have been testing with these for a couple of months (VL50) and the results have been comparable to the e140 offering (although there have been some struggles). The Dual screen allows for spanning through rDesktop and we are still working with them on the multi screen awareness capability (knows about the muliple screens and not just spanning across screens).

At this stage it is all working but is still in pre-release state and we are only just starting to let them out into the wild with the users. Based on this we will be able to give some real user feedback in the next couple of weeks instead of techie eval feedback.

Apart from that they are identical in form factor to the current V family with the exception of a DVI video outlet. This supports splitting VGA/VGA, DVI/DVI or DVI/VGA which is more flexible then the competitors.

I can also say that we have it integrated into our Broker infrastructure which extends there broker aware family for those familiar with the S10 offerings.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

thanks for that Dave,

that is interesting infomation, keep us posted.

Message was edited by:

tom howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, thanks for that Dave. I'll be curious to hear more as things progress, especially on the multi screen awareness.

0 Kudos
Elie-prof
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dave,

so unless the protocol supports mutli-monitor it won't work - right?

Then it wouldn't work with plain RDP. If that's the case then I could use it with my Provision Networks VAS since their version of RDP supports multi-monitor. I wonder how I can put Provision's RDP CE client on it- do I need Wyse to do it?

thanks,

Elie

0 Kudos
davlloyd
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Dave,

so unless the protocol supports mutli-monitor it

won't work - right?

Then it wouldn't work with plain RDP. If that's the

case then I could use it with my Provision Networks

VAS since their version of RDP supports

multi-monitor. I wonder how I can put Provision's

RDP CE client on it- do I need Wyse to do it?

thanks,

Elie

They utilise RDP Channels to relay to a guest base service the monitor mode on the thin client. As such you get automatic switching between single and dual mode depending on what is connected to the client device.

So at this stage there solution is goof for the XPe and Linux offering but not for the CE platform as CE does not have an RDP 6.0 client yet for monitor spanning support (it is held by the RDP 5<= constraints of 1600x1200). Not sure why you would want to do dual monitor on CE anyway when the performance is questionable.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

FYI for anyone interested. We just stumbled upon this site internally today for other reasons. It looks like Wyse didn't go with a matrox solution afterall...

http://www.villagetronic.com

http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/applications.html#VideoEditing

...check out the "Thin client setups" section on the bottom of the righthand column in the second link.

It also sounds like you can add the card into certain Wyse models for even more additonal displays. All in all looks like a pretty slick product for a laptop. Has anyone done anything with them so far?

Based on some of the conversations in other threads from Traders, thought some of you might be interested in this as well.

http://www.villagetronic.com/vtbook/finance.html

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

discovered a problem that is quite big in our environment.

if you connect to a citrix seesion the remote server desktop doubles in resolution, this means if you resize the window to fit on one screen u get the scrole bar across the bottom i.e. all you have done is make a double screen fit on to one.

this makes it unworkable for a large number of our users

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Steve,

I think more and more it will boil down to "how you manage all those monitors rather than "how many monitors can you attach". Not being a pure "workstation guy" my feeling is that attaching 2 or 4 monitors is becoming a commodity feature ..... the way you manage those monitors (i.e. 4 displays awareness etc etc) is the key thing .....

And, as far as I have seen so far, Matrox has an advantage in the managing space ... well certainly the cost is not cheap though.

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

We ran into similar here... What was happening for us was due to how the desktop happens to be published. If you are publishing out your Citrix Desktop to either Full or Percentage of the screen, the citrix client will pass along the Wyse desktop resolution. In the case of the two displays, this resolution happens to be rectangular in dimension.

Then when you resize the remote window to one display, the Wyse specific multi diplay software does it's normal job and resizes that "Application" window to the dimensions of one of those two screens. Thus your remote display is still physically rectangular in resolution, but the window it is diplayed in is square. Hence the scroll bars.

One way around that is obviously to publish out the desktop with a specific set resolution size. Otherwise you could possibly write some funky script (similar to what was posted in another thread) to grab the local resolution and then divide that... Thankfully in our case there isn't really a need for the Citrix Desktop on a VDI machine that is running dual displays. ...At least not yet anyway.

0 Kudos
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Massimo

I couldn't agree with you more. Management is the key here. A lot of the solutions that we have gone through around here (Thin Client, Desktop, Laptop, etc) for different reasons have all had their pluses an minuses. One in particular from matrox does acomplish the job of adding an additional display, but at the expense of image quality. I won't go into the specifics, but it's something new they just released. It will take the output of one display, and through a converter box allow you to stretch the screen to two physicial displays. Again, I won't spell out all the mechanics of that one here...

...back to the point though. Yes, adding additional displays isn't the hard part. As you said, it's how you control and manipulate that additoinal real estate you now have. That is the key. Especially for things like the above mentioned Citrix Desktop with scroll bars. It's just not what a user would expect to see, and then causes us to re-engineer solutions around it.

Hopefully someone figures out a way to address this from the "top" sometime soon, rather than with all of these "add-ons" that keep coming out. By that I mean if the native OS and/or remote protocols correctly understand the resolutions/displays, then there won't be such a need for loads of third party display management tools. Of course just a few years ago I was still using one single display myself... not to mention the general user.

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
mreferre
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

>Hopefully someone figures out a way to address this from the "top"

>sometime soon, rather than with all of these "add-ons" that keep coming

>out. By that I mean if the native OS and/or remote protocols correctly

>understand the resolutions/displays, then there won't be such a need for

>loads of third party display management tools.

True .... the big issue (flying at 33.000 feet) is that, if you think, what we are doing is taking a de-facto standard deployment architecture ( that is .. the DESKTOP) and adapt it modifying the shape and everything. Everything in this space is thought/developed/tested with the desktop in mind. Then we take these things (that is the software, the devices etc etc) and try to make them work in another form and shape (through terminal services, through thin clients, through citrix, through vdi, through a broker etc etc).

As long as the "average people" think by default that in order to support 100 users they need to buy 100 Desktop/Laptops it will always be tough (you can find a fix for this thing, but there is another technology around the corner being developed with the desktop paradigm in mind).

Things will start to change when the "average Joe" that needs to support 100 users would think (BY DEFAULT) "ok I need to buy 100 thin clients and a farm to support them". That is when the industry as a whole will start to think/develop/test technologies in other manners.

End of the rant. Smiley Happy

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

thanks for getting back, i have raised a support request with wyse and try and find out if they are planing on a fix.

i wish there was a rule that people could one have one monitor, it hurts my head when i try and work with 2....

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK i managed to resolve this issue with the help of our citrix team, it was just a matter of setting the resolution settings in our citrix portal, now all apps are working correctly

0 Kudos