VMware Horizon Community
Don40
Contributor
Contributor

Wyse Thin Client Connectivity From Home ...Is this Possible ?

I have one question and would like check if any one has tested the connectivity of Wyse Thin Client (VL10L or VS10 or Any model which supports) from Home to VDI Infrastructure at Office.

We have a VDI Infrastructure setup with Security Server, which works fine from Remote location using the IE or VDI client on Laptop.

We would like to setup Wyse Thin Client at Users Home for their laptop/Desktop replacement to access the Virtual Desktop via Wyse Thin Client from Home ....Is this Possible ? Pls let me know if any tried this before .

0 Kudos
5 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Any thin client that supports Linux or Window XP/e can operate securely over the Internet to VDM in the same way as a regular PC.

The Wyse devices that support WTOS will work but require direct RDP connection to the virtual desktop and this would not usually be allowed through your DMZ.

With a Linux thin client device you would use VDM Web Access and with a Windows XP/e device you would use VDM Client (for Windows).

Hope this helps.

Mark.

0 Kudos
Don40
Contributor
Contributor

*The Wyse devices that support WTOS will work but require direct RDP connection to the virtual desktop*

Is the RDP port need to be opened directly to VM Ip address ? or security server Ip address ? IF We want to use the Wyse devices that support WTOS ...

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Directly to VM IP address - which is not ideal for Internet access unless you have an independent VPN.

Wyse (and other) XP/e and Linux devices make use of the VDM Secure Tunnel which routes all RDP access securely through the VDM Server.

Mark.

0 Kudos
Adam_Oliver
Contributor
Contributor

I would think it would be better to create a tunnel, e.g. PPTP, from the Wyse to the network the VM is on instead of just opening the RDP port. I've had to do that go access our test environment here as only the VDM is accessible normally.

0 Kudos
Sean_Conley
Contributor
Contributor

You need an IP on the network for the thin client to be able to access properly.

To resolve that issue, we added a hardware based VPN solution to each home user.

With that in place, the connection betweeen the WTOS and the VDM connection broker worked beautifully.

Sean

0 Kudos